∞ Chapter 32 ∞

~ Rayne ~

I parked in the lot at school and before I could get lost in my thoughts I noticed the mysterious, yet twitchy guy there again under the trees. He had appeared every day since Monday. The strange thing was that he clearly wanted to keep out of sight, but failed majorly because of his nervous behaviour, and because of that I kept an eye on him. I didn't trust him and I was wondering what he was doing here. He didn't seem to be a person who liked hanging around school for fun. So when his window was rolled down and he was talking on the phone I couldn't help eavesdropping.

"She still didn't appear at school, or she has a real good way of keeping out of my sight," the guy said.

"Maybe we should forget about her and start searching a new one," the muffled voice on the other end said.

He groaned, frustratingly tapping his wheel. "She knows too much, we have been living in the dark, literally, since she took off."

"You were the one who let her slip away," the guy on the other side pointed out before he sighed. "Just make sure we can carry on with our business."

The guy in the car worked his mouth in frustration. "That girl was like the best shot, dude. If we couldn't get her into it without forcing, we'll get no one."

This was the strangest conversation I ever heard. What the hell was this about?

"Juan, just think of something, I'm sick of this situation."

And that's when it hit me. Juan. The guy who kidnapped Mallory for days was back to track her down, or find some other girl to do their dirty work. He was the reason she had been inside her house for days. The police had been searching him the second she came back home. He had to be stopped.

And he was starting the engine to get away. I had no choice but walk over to his car and stop him.

So I did.

I got out and approached his car, placing my hand on his door and bend my head so I looked at him through his window. "Hi," I smiled. His mouth worked nervously. "So," I said casually, "I have seen you around here for the last days. Seen something you like?"

He averted his uncertain gaze to the school, over the lot, but never rested them on me for long. In the end he swallowed and looked at me. "Listen, I have an appointment. I have to go."

"You're not going anywhere, Juan."

He gaped at me, his eyes wide, his hands clenching on the wheel. "How do you – " he shook his head, correcting himself. "I'm leaving." He composed himself fast, narrowed his eyes and turned frustrated.

I laughed bitterly. "No, you're not."

"Listen, I don't know what your problem is, but leave me alone will you? I have done nothing to you, so why are you annoying me?"

"Oh you definitely have something to do with me, maybe not with me personally, but through a friend. Does the name Mallory ring a bell?"

His eyes nearly popped out of his head and his mouth twitched. He was hitting the gas, letting the engine roar loud, but I wasn't going to let him get away. "I have no idea who Mallory is."

"Of course you don't. Well, let me remind you then. She was the girl who you made her trust you, on wrong occasions, but okay. She was the girl who thought you truly liked her, who got very private with you while all you had in mind was 'your business'. Don't you feel ashamed?" I almost scowled near the end. I couldn't help it.