∞ Chapter 29 ∞

~ Kayley ~

"He doesn't trust me, I'm telling you. His eyes automatically narrowed when they land on me, only to avert his gaze just as quickly. The only reason why he tried to appear nice is because your mother doesn't have a problem with me and he knows there's no reasoning with her when she is determined about something." He was so worked up in an innocent way it was kind of cute, but he assumed me being silent as if he'd hurt my feelings. "I don't try to offend you, please remember that, but it's just how I felt it."

I thought back on our dinner yesterday. My father's surprized eyes when Rayne sat down next to me at our dinner table, the way my mother smiled slightly and nodded when my dad searched her eyes for an explanation. He had been twisting with his fork, pushing his food around on his plate before he ate it, is mouth pursed up in a grim line. Rayne had a point.

"Okay, maybe you're right, but it doesn't matter. Like you said, he knows he can't change it and you'll see, as the time passes, he will learn to trust you. Don't forget it's always hard for fathers when their daughter start paying attention to other guys than their father, although I always had more with my mother... Anyway, you know what I mean."

He laughed. "Maybe."

"Not maybe, you know I'm right," I laughed. A beep sounded in my ear. "Oh, someone else is calling, keep hanging for a second, okay?"

"Sure," he grinned softly.

"Kayley, spe–"

"Mall's back," Gwyn cut in, breathing fastened.

"Really? How–"

"Something's really wrong. I'm going over to her place now, are you coming too?" She rushed the words out.

"Yeah, of course. What happened?" I asked, my breathing high in my throat, eyes wide.

"I don't know a lot, only that it has something to do with that Juan. I never heard her so... sad."

My whole body tensed at her words. "Okay, I'm on my way." Just before I hit the END button I remembered Rayne was still waiting, so I switched back. "Mallory's back. She just called Gwyn. Something's seriously off. I need to go there now." My voice was ragged, tensed. I was pacing through my room and when I looked at our driveway I slipped out, "Shit!"

"Kay, calm down. What's wrong?" he asked softly.

"It's raining and I don't have a car. I could ask Sam, but he also has to learn... Okay, that means cycling. Great. Okay, I have to go, Bye."

"No, wait," he suddenly said. "I'll come and pick you up. I'll be there in 10 minutes."

"Really?" I asked surprized. "I have no problem with cycling."

"Kayley, it's pouring. You'll be completely drowned by the time you're at Mallory's," he said disapprovingly. "I'm on my way, already. Oh, take your car-keys with you."

"Thanks, Rayne. What? Where do I need my keys for?"

"Just do it," he grinned before he hung up.

I ran down the stairs, grabbed my keys and coat and slammed the front door behind me, pacing on the porch. My stomach was twisting with stress. I was turning crazy with worry. Mallory hadn't appeared at school since Wednesday. We had been so worried the last couple of days. We had heard nothing at all from her until she had called Gwyn now. And something was terribly wrong. Gwyn said her voice sounded sad. Mallory never showed dejection, never.

By the time Rayne pulled in our driveway I was close to hyperventilating. He came out and ran up the steps, immediately taking me in his arms, his hand on the back of my head, soothing as he said, "Shh, calm down. It's going to be okay." My hand had gripped his jacket tight. I breathed in his scent, focusing on the steady heartbeat in his chest, his soft voice, his warm, yet clammy embrace from the rain drops. "Hey, look at me." He tilted my head up with a finger under my chin until I looked in his eyes, brushing the side of my face. "She's back. So whatever happened, she got through it. Remember that."