∞ Chapter 50 ∞

~ Kayley ~

I knocked on Rayne's front door with a weekend bag slung over my shoulder in the early evening. My parents had left this afternoon for their three-day vacation after my mother had given her last lecture about what we were allowed to do and what not. She had carefully avoided Rayne's name. "You can invite Gwyn and Mallory over if you want, but no more, okay? No parties. Sam, same thing for you," she had said.

"No, mom. We promise," I'd assured her. She had looked at me with a strange expression.

Did she really think I would leave the best opportunity to spend time with Rayne go by like that? Especially when she hadn't said anything about him? Not to invite him, but not forbidding me to see him either. What did she think would happen?

In the beginning of the week I had carefully gauged the atmosphere in a conversation with my mom what she would think of the idea of me and Rayne sleeping in one bed again for a change, but she had waved it away like it wasn't even worth thinking about. Well, if she wasn't against it enough to make it clear to me that it wasn't going to happen, I figured she couldn't be pissed with me if I did.

I had told Sam my plan this morning. Luckily, he was fine with it and had already thought to invite Greg over for the evening. I did feel a bit bad that I would leave him alone in the house for the night, but I would sleep home tomorrow night again and he said it was okay.

After Sam and I waved at our parents' car as they drove away and went inside when they had taken the corner, I had run up the stairs to pack. Sam and I had dinner and five minutes before I'd left to Rayne's place, Greg stood at our front door.

Rayne opened the door and took me in. He looked a bit shocked. "What are you doing here?"

"Duh, I'm staying over at your place, remember?" I laughed.

"They agreed?" he asked surprized. I shook my head. "So you decided to test your father's distrust in me to its limits by coming here while they clearly told you you're not allowed to?" he asked disbelieving, mocking almost.

I thought that over "Well technically..."

"Kayley, – " he groaned, placing one hand on the door frame and slowly circling his head.

"I love you for being the responsible one, but you can overdue it. They never said I wasn't allowed to come here. They just didn't say anything about it in general. And Sam liked some privacy too," I winked. "But if you truly don't want me here, well, then... I suppose I should go home again," I faked hurt with the saddest voice I could manage as I slowly turned around.

He grabbed my wrist and pulled me back to him. His face as well as his voice was a lot softer when he said, "Of course I love that you're here, Kayley. Don't leave like this."

I smirked and threw my hands around his neck. His face turned from a bit sad to slightly irritated realization. "You were never going to leave, were you? You just wanted me to admit I want you here so your plan on staying over could get through." He exhaled a disapproving breath at me, but slung my baggage over his shoulder and hugged me tight. "You'll make me crazy one day." I grinned and followed him inside. "By the way, what do you mean, Sam likes some privacy?" he asked as he looked back at me.

"He invited Greg over and you know what's that going to be like when they have the living room for themselves, including TV. It's going to be all guy-talk. I don't belong there," I said bored, sitting down on the couch.

He rolled his eyes at me, but also smiled as he handed me a glass with juice. "Poor you."

"Not when I can stay here," I smiled.