04| Anchors

CHAPTER FOUR » ANCHORS
"It made me think of you."

"Disoriented." Rick said. "I guess that comes closest. Disoriented. Fear, confusion. All those things but disoriented comes closest."

"Words can be meagre things. Sometimes they fall short." Dale said.

"I felt like I'd been ripped out of my life and put somewhere else. For a while, I thought I was trapped in some coma dream, something I might not wake up from ever." Rick said.

"Mom said you died." Carl mumbled.

"She had every reason to believe that. Don't you ever doubt it." Rick said.

"When things started to get really bad, they told me at the hospital that they were gonna take you and the other patients to Atlanta." Lori said. "And it never happened."

"Well, I'm not surprised after Atlanta fell." Rick said.

"Yeah." Lori agreed.

"And from the look of that hospital, it got overrun." Rick added.

"Yeah, looks don't deceive." Shane said. "I barely got them out, you know?

Rick turned to his best friend. "I can't tell you how grateful I am to you, Shane. I can't begin to express it."

"There go those words falling short again." Dale said. "Paltry things."

~

"Have you given any thought to Daryl Dixon? He won't be happy to hear his brother was left behind." Dale spoke up after a while.

"I'll tell him." T-Dog said. "I dropped the key. It's on me."

"I cuffed him. That makes it mine."

"Guys, it's not a competition." Glenn pointed out. "I don't mean to bring race into this, but it might sound better coming from a white guy."

T-Dog shook his head. "I did what I did. Hell if I'm gonna hide from him."

"We could lie." Amy suggested.

"Or tell the truth." Andrea said. "Merle was out of control. Something had to be done or he'd have gotten us killed." She looked at Lori. "Your husband did what was necessary. And if Merle got left behind, it is nobody's fault but Merle's."

"And that's what we tell Daryl?" Dale asked. "I don't see a rational discussion to be had from that, do you? Word to the wise, we're gonna have our hands full when he gets back from his hunt."

"I was scared and I ran. I'm not ashamed of it." T-Dog said.

"We were all scared. We all ran." I reminded. "What's your point?"

"I stopped long enough to chain that door. Staircase is narrow. Maybe half a dozen geeks can squeeze against it at any one time. It's not enough to break through that. Not that chain, not that padlock. My point, Dixon's alive and he's still up there, handcuffed on that roof." T-Dog explained. "That's on us."

~

"Morning!" Glenn chirped as I headed over to the RV.

"Mm."

He chuckled, handing me something. A box.

I frowned, running my hands over it.

"What's this?"

"Open it."

"I'm mildly worried."