18| Say Something

CHAPTER EIGHTEEN » SAY SOMETHING
"It's always been you."

"You didn't tell him?" Glenn pressed, his eyebrows raised. "I thought you wanted people to know?"

I shook my head. "I couldn't do it. We ended up talking about something else and it didn't seem right and I guess- well, I just panicked."

Glenn sighed, his eyes darting around to see if anybody was listening. He lowered his voice. "I was talking to Dale about it and we were thinking that maybe we need to tell everyone."

"Are you sure that's a good idea?" I asked, glancing back over at the group. The outcome of telling everybody was going to be a complete disaster. Not to mention it would tear apart the Greene's trust for us if everyone reacted badly.

"I was thinking of doing it at breakfast. I have to get it over with. I can't keep this quiet much longer."

I sighed, deep down knowing it was the right thing to do. Everybody needed to know eventually. We needed to stop putting it off. "Okay."

The tension was already thick enough at breakfast. I scraped my fork along my plate, feeling too rattled with nerves to eat anything. I kept on catching eyes with Glenn and Dale and once with Maggie, who shook her head as if begging us not to say anything.

I heard Glenn clear his throat and stand up in the view of everyone. I felt my pulse rise, watching as Glenn's nervous hands shook by his sides. "Um, guys..." His voice cracked as everyone's attention turned to him. And he didn't even sugar coat it. "So, the barn is full of walkers."

Everyone paused, looks of pure shock and horror on their faces. And that's what I liked to call, the calm before the storm.

~

"You cannot tell me you're alright with this," Shane said above the moaning and groaning sounds of the walkers from the barn.

Rick turned to him. "I'm not, but we're guests here," he pointed out. "This isn't our land."

"This is our lives!" Shane yelled.

"Lower your voice," Glenn hissed.

"We can't just sweep this under the rug," Andrea spoke up, looking between the two of them.

Shane nodded. "It ain't right. Not remotely." He began to pace behind Rick before eventually stopping between all of us. "Okay, we've either got to go in there, we've got to make things right or we've just got to go. Now we have been talking about fort Benning for a long time-"

"We can't go," Rick said firmly.

"Why, Rick? Why?"

"Because my daughter is still out there." Carol said, watching him with wide eyes.

"Okay," Shane said. "Okay, I think it's time that we all start to just consider the other possibility."

"We're not leaving Sophia behind," Rick snapped.

"I'm close to finding this girl," Daryl reminded. "I just found her damn doll two days ago."

"You found her doll, Daryl. That's what you did. You found a doll," Shane said, beginning to cross the line as disrespectful. Carol didn't need this.

"You don't know what the hell you're talking about!" Daryl snapped, his anger rising as he began to grow defensive.

"I'm just saying what needs to be said," Shane countered, making me shake my head.