30| Broken

CHAPTER THIRTY » BROKEN
"Me and you, we have to stick together."

My first thought as I pulled away from Glenn, my eyes stinging harshly from all the tears, was the baby now in Hershel's arms.

"The good news is she looks healthy," Hershel announced, breaking the silence. "But she needs formula. And soon, or she won't survive."

"No," Daryl spoke up, his arm moving from Olivia's back as he took a step forwards. "No way. Not her. We ain't losing nobody else. I'm going for a run."

"I'll back you up," Maggie said, and I pulled myself out of my current state, nodding.

"I'll go too."

"And me," Glenn added quickly.

"Okay, think where we're going," Daryl instructed before shouting a shell shocked looking Beth over. "Kid just lost his mom," he said in a low whisper, only us closest being able to hear. "His dad ain't doing so hot."

"I'll look out for him." She replied, giving him a weak smile before turning and heading back towards her father.

"You two get the fence," I instructed Oscar and Axel, who immediately obliged. "There's too many," I said, facing Daryl, who merely shook his head.

"Glenn, Maggie, vámonos," Daryl instructed as my eyes wandered back to Rick, who was picking up an axe on the ground.

"Shit," I murmured, watching as he started to head back towards Cell Block C. "Rick!" I called out. But it was already too late.

"Get the gate!" I heard Daryl yell out to the others. "Come on, we're gonna lose the light!"

Sighing, I turned back to the other three, all of us beginning to fast walk. "There's a Piggly Wiggly on 85," Glenn suggested as a destination.

"No, the baby section's been cleared," Maggie shut down. "Lori asked me and Blaire to keep an eye out, haven't had much luck."

"Is there any place that hasn't been completely looted?"

"We saw signs for a shopping center just north of here," Glenn reminded as I thought back to a run we'd done a couple of weeks ago.

"Yeah, but there's too much debris on the road. The car will never get through there," I disagreed.

Daryl looked between all of us, pulling his vest on. "I can take one of you." Just as I went to open my mouth, he cut me off. "Not you though Blaire."

"What? Why?"

"If someone's gotta stay then better it's you," he said. "Rick ain't in a good state."

As much as I wanted to argue, I knew there was no point in wasting time. I wanted to help, for Lori's sake. But maybe the way I could help Lori is by helping Rick and Carl.

"I'll go," Maggie offered.

"No, Maggie, after everything you've been through," Glenn shook his head.  "I can go."

"I want to go," she said firmly. "For Lori, I have to."

"Maggie, you sure?" I double checked, although though I knew exactly how she felt with the need to do something for Lori. She nodded. "Okay, be safe. Both of you."

Maggie gave me a pained smile, her arms wrapping around Daryl as the bike roared off into the distance. Glenn and I shared a look, both not knowing what to say or where to even start with the situation we'd been left in.