25| Flames

CHAPTER TWENTY FIVE » FLAMES
"Jesus, it's not like I died."

"I'll get the guns," Andrea stated, her wide eyes lingering on the dead for a few moments longer before she disappeared inside.

"Maybe they're just passing, like the herd on the highway," Glenn suggested, his voice slightly shaky with nerves. He glanced over at me. "Should we just go inside?"

"Not unless there's a tunnel downstairs I don't know about," Daryl muttered in reply.

"There's too many," I added, with a small nod of my head. "A herd that size would rip the house down."

The lights shut off, leaving us in more darkness. I couldn't tear my eyes away from the walkers, unable to comprehend how such a huge herd managed to come our way. Was it the one from the highway?

"Carl's gone!" I heard Lori suddenly exclaim breathlessly, like she'd just been running.

I spun around, locking eyes with her. "What?"

"He- he was upstairs. I can't find him anymore."

I closed my eyes, trying to take calm breaths. This was a disaster, a complete disaster. Not only were Rick and Shane gone when we needed them most, there was a huge ass herd coming for us and  now Carl was missing. Anything could have happened. Absolutely anything.

"Maybe he's hiding," Carol suggested, attempting to reassure her. But it was no use.

"He's supposed to be upstairs!" Lori replied, her voice completely panicked. "I'm not leaving without my boy."

"We're not. We're gonna look again. We're gonna find him," Olivia replied sternly, turning towards me. "Right Blaire?"

I stared blankly at her, unable to even form a sentence. Everything was chaos at the moment and I couldn't even calm myself down, let alone anyone else.

"Blaire," Olivia started, standing in front of me and placing her hands on my shoulders. "You're gonna have to pull yourself together because we need you more than ever right now. You hear me? You gotta go out there and do your thing."

I nodded, taking a deep breath before turning to Andrea, who had the guns in her hands. I took the bag, beginning to hand the weapons around to everyone, whilst trying to steady my still shaking hands.

"I got the number," Daryl said, motioning to the walkers coming towards the house. "It's no use."

"You can go if you want," Hershel said, his eyes locked on the gun in his hands.

"You gonna take them all on?" I asked in disbelief, almost feeling the need to laugh. One person alone could never take that amount on and come out of it alive. It would be pointless to even try.

"We have guns. We have cars," I said, glancing around at everyone as I stood at the top of the porch steps, my back to the chaotic scene behind me. "Kill as many as we can, and we'll use the cars to lead the rest of them off the farm. We can do this."

"This is my farm. I'll die here," Hershel stated.

"All right," Daryl spoke up as he hopped over the porch fence. "It's as good a night as any."

He looked over at me briefly and I sighed, nodding firmly. "Let's kick some walker ass."

~

I stood next to Olivia, my shoulder's back and arms raised as I held my gun in front of me. Glancing over, I noticed how rigid her body was and the way her hands were trembling. She turned her head to the left, her eyes meeting mine.