09| CDC

CHAPTER NINE » CDC
"Glenn's my anchor."

I cocked my gun, hastily stepping inside the building.

There was a blonde man stood at the top of the stairs, eyeing us.

"Anyone infected?"

"One of our group was." Rick answered. "He didn't make it."

The man started to walk down the stairs, coming closer. "Why are you here? What do you want?"

"A chance."

"That's asking an awful lot these days."

"I know."

I watched the man's eyes scan over our group. "You all submit to a blood test. That's the price of admission."

Rick nodded. "We can do that."

The stranger lowered his gun. "You got stuff to bring in, you do it now. Once this door closes, it stays closed."

Almost immediately, everyone turned to Glenn and I.

"Okay, we'll get your stuff." I rolled my eyes, taking my best friends arm as we headed back to the RV.

Glenn was grinning like an idiot and I faked a smile, not wanting to ruin his mood.

There was something odd about the guy. For starters, he seemed almost too accepting. But most of all, he gave me a strange vibe that I just couldn't put my finger on.

With the help of Daryl, Dale and T-Dog, we managed to bring everyone's things inside.

Dale and T-Dog closed the door shut behind them.

"Vi, seal the main entrance." The man said, to what I presumed to be an alarm system. "Kill the power up here." The shutters closed quickly and I glanced around, knowing there was well and truly no way out now.

Rick turned to the stranger, holding his hand out to shake. "Rick Grimes."

The man looked down but didn't shake Rick's extended hand. "Dr. Edwin Jenner." He looked up at the rest of us and walked around Rick.

We followed him from the entrance to an elevator. The doors opened and we all squished inside.

"Doctors always go around packing heat like that?" Daryl questioned.

"There were plenty left lying around. I familiarized myself. But you look harmless enough." Jenner joked. He looked down at Carl. "Except you. I'll have to keep my eye on you."

The elevator came to a stop and I let out a breath of relief, trying to get past as I was squeezed between Glenn and Lori.

"Are we underground?" Carol asked, a hint of worry laced in her voice.

Jenner looked back at her. "Are you claustrophobic?"

"A little."

"Try not to think about it." He said, turning back around. "Vi, bring up the lights in the big room." Jenner paused and turned to address us all. "Welcome to zone 5."

Jenner didn't lie, the room was big. It was filled with computers and all sorts of impressive technology.

Then I realised something. This is a lab.

So where is everyone?

"Where is everybody?" I spoke up. "The other doctors. The staff?"

"I'm it." He stopped, looking at me with a shrug. "It's just me here."