39. #27 Curtis Lazar (Ottawa Senators)

For @mrshemmoclifford, hope you like it!:) 

Your first anniversary with your boyfriend didn't go as planned or even imagined – at the end it was even better than you imagined it'd be. But to be better than imagined, it had to go downhill first and had an unexpected surprise, which nearly made you think Curtis was not the right one for you...

"What do you mean, you can't make it? It's our anniversary. We made a reservation weeks ago," you ask your boyfriend of one year angrily. Being in a full restaurant with your schoolmate, you can't really yell at him although you wish you could. He promised he'd be free for your special date and now he is telling you he won't be able to make it.

"I can't make it, Y/N. I forgot I...have practice," he hesitates a bit before saying he has practice, making you doubt his words, his honesty.

"And you tell me that only now? You whisper, nearly spitting words out and adding some venom in them.

"Y/N, I forgot, okay? I am sorry," you hear him sigh, sounding slightly annoyed. That pisses you off even more and only your schoolmate's hand on your shoulder is keeping you from yelling.
"I don't know what will you say to your coach, but you better show up at 8pm in Restaurant Eighteen. Do you understand?" you hiss and furiously tap the screen of your phone, cancelling the call.

"Wow, you sure know what you want," your schoolmate chuckles and takes a sip of water.

"It's our first anniversary. Call me clingy, but I want to spend my first anniversary with him. Okay, maybe I was a bit too harsh..."
"A bit? You probably gave poor guy nightmares."
"Come on, I was not that horrible," you object, but the look on your schoolmate's face tells a different story and you sigh in defeat: "Maybe I should call him back."

"No! You should show him you are being serious. Maybe you were a bit too harsh, but if you called him back, you'd show him he can always change plans."

She checks her watch and stands up: "Girl, we should go. You don't want to be late for your science class, right?"

"I really can't afford to miss Science. I'll see you tomorrow," you say, calling an over-worked waitress over.

"I'll pay," you tell your friend and pay the bill.

"See you tomorrow, Y/SM/N," you hug her and hurry to the building in which you have Science, which is pretty far away. You get there just before the bell rings and slip behind your desk quietly. You pull out your notebook and read the notes from your last class, but your mind is set on your last conversation with Curtis and you can't shake your outburst out of your head.

"Miss Y/L/N, are you with us?" your professor's voice wakes you up. You shake your head and mumble quiet "Yeah" in response. One of the 'popular' girls leans back on her chair and whispers: "Jerk."

You ignore her and try to focus on the lesson, but your thoughts are wandering to the upcoming one-year anniversary date.

Somehow you survive the class and since it was the last lesson you had, you head back home. First thing you see when you approach the door of your apartment, you see large box sitting on your door stand. You lift it and take the attached note.

"Y/N, baby, I am so sorry. I took my lunch break to get to you, but you weren't here. I really can't miss today's meeting with the team. I promise I will repay for the reservation and for putting you aside. I really, really wished to spend our one-tear with you, but I really can't miss this. You mean a world to me and I love you, C," the message reads. You hold the piece of paper in your hands, disbelief drawing on your face. And furthermore, last time you spoke with him he said they were having a practice, not a team meeting. And that made you suspicious even more. You cancelled every single plan to be with him tonight and he didn't even show any effort to be with you. You pull your phone out of your bag and ring his number.