Chapter Forty Seven

Caitlin's POV

The only ounce of air left in my lungs was gone. Disintegrated into the thin air. I could barely breathe and this time, it wasn't due to the amount of smoke and dust that was flying around me and the sickening aroma and fumes of the warehouse. This time it was due to my heart dropping to my stomach as I watched somebody I loved get shot right in front of me.

"Justin!" We all screamed in unison as we quickly hopped over the frame and reached his body.

"Justin, are you okay? Where did you get hit?" Ryan yelled over the sounds of the bullets that were being shot from the guns.

It surprised me how they continued to carelessly aim their machinery right at us and fire away as if we weren't living humans, and we were their little targets instead. They were heartless cowards who only listened to their leader's words. But what surprised me the most out of everything that was happening was the fact that the bullet left from David's gun. How could you even pull the trigger towards your son without having any second thought or even a slight bit of hesitation about it? Was he really that selfish? I guessed they were right when they said the person you'd take a bullet for, ends up being the one behind the gun.

We all crouched down around Justin's body as he was sprawled on the dusty ground below us. His head was laying on my lap as I held onto his cheek and began to whisper reassuring words to him. But words were cheap and none of them helped dissolve the pain. None of them made him feel any better. He was wounded and none of me was able to help him.

His eyes were screwed shut as he gritted his teeth and began to hiss in pain. He had his hand pressed over his thigh and my eyes widened at how much blood was oozing out of the wound.

It literally felt like a maze. A maze that was made to never be solved. Just when we thought we had an exit or some sort of plan to get out, an obstacle came in the way and made us second guess our decisions. This repeated for the entire night and all of us had enough of it.

"You're okay baby, don't worry," I said in a soothing voice as I softly ran my palm along his cheek to keep him awake. The beads of sweat from his forehead began to drip on my lap as he continued to cry. His face was turning red from how much pain he was going through and his hair was a disheveled mess.

My heart rate grew faster and faster the more I took glances at the blood spitting out of his thigh. In a matter of seconds, a red puddle was under us and I realized it was best to try and leave instead of letting him sit in his own pool of blood.

"Guys, we have to go!" I yelled as I tried to lift Justin by his shoulders. The guys held each of his legs as I curled my hands under Justin's upper arms.

"1, 2, 3," I counted down and with that, I tried to put as much power into my arms to move him. However, he barely lifted a centimeter off the ground as the weight was too much for me to carry.

Suddenly, the shooting came to a stop and the only thing we could hear was Justin's groaning and our heavy breaths as we all tried to carry his body.

"Not so fast," a scheming voice radiated throughout the entire area, causing all of us to lose our attention on Justin. We all looked up at each other and just by the expressions on our faces, we knew we were screwed.

"Get them!" I heard the voice yell again and just within a blink of an eye, four of the gang members each took us by the shoulders and dragged us out of the room as if we were garbage bags. I watched as Justin was being pulled away from me, the blood making a path on the floor.

I began to scream as I felt the guard's strong grasp around my arms get tighter and tighter, restricting me from any movement from my upper body. However, my lower body was practically having a spasm attack. I was kicking my legs, scraping my feet against the floor, jumping up and down. I was trying to do anything that could get me out of their harsh grip but nothing could work and it felt like the night was repeating itself all over again.