Chapter Nine

Justin's POV

Last night was probably the most fun I had in months. Taking Caitlin out to dinner was great but it was what happened while we were there that was exciting. Just talking to her and seeing her smile made my night. I had gotten to know her so well and I could honestly say I was happy about that. Hanging out with her was just so much fun. 

Damn, I sound like a character from one of those sappy romance movies. Man up, Justin. I quickly shook the thought off from last night and decided to give Caitlin a call. A few seconds after the tone was ringing, I finally heard her pick up. 

"Hey, It's Justin." 

"Oh hi! Thanks for last night, I had a lot of fun." She said.

"Glad you did, that was my goal." I joked.

I heard her laugh over the phone. God, I loved her laugh.

"So, what's up?" She asked.

"I uhm, I was wondering if you wanted to come over to my place. You know, just to chill." I said while fiddling with the strings on my grey sweatpants, waiting for her to answer.

"Sure. The thing is that I have an exam today so I need to come later afternoon, if that's alright." 

"Sounds good, see you then!" I replied and hung up the phone. 

-

Dylan was at work and I was at home, still waiting for Caitlin to come. It was 4:47 PM and she texted me earlier today saying that she would show up at 5:00. Realizing it was almost time for her to come, I quickly cleaned up the house a bit, making sure not to make it look messy. I heard that's a turn off to some girls and I wouldn't want to have a bad impression.

It seemed like 20 minutes passed by until I heard the doorbell ring. I walked to the mirror near the door and took one last glance, just to check if I had anything on my face or in my teeth. Not up for embarrassing myself today.

"Hey," I said as I opened the door to see Caitlin.

She was wearing a pair of black tights and an over sized grey crew-neck and what looked like a textbook in her hands. Her hair was up in a high ponytail and she seemed really laid back today.

"Hi," She said, smiling sweetly. 

I opened the door wider and motioned for her to come in. She entered and took a look around the house with the book still in her hands. I closed the door behind us and guided her to the living room.

"Hmm, looks familiar." She commented.

I chuckled at her joke. "I wonder why," I replied, remembering the night Dylan abducted her.

She sat down on the leather sofa and placed her book to the side while kicking up her legs on the glass coffee table in front of her. I guess she was making herself comfortable already. 

"Do you want a drink?" I asked politely, still standing up. 

I was amazed at how she seemed so relaxed around me. It was like we were good friends who have known each other for our entire lives when really, I met her just last week and she was already at my house.

"Yes, please." She responded.

I nodded and made my way to the kitchen. Hmm, what drink does she even like? I decided to go with Mountain Dew. Just some simple soda. As I pulled out the bottle and closed the fridge door, I noticed Caitlin standing at the door frame of the kitchen and I flinched.

"Jesus Christ, you scared me." I placed the bottle down on the marble counter and pulled out two glasses from one of the cupboards. 

I watched her pull out one of the stools at the center of the kitchen and sit on it, leaning her elbows on the counter as she quietly laughed to herself. "Sorry."