A City in the Clouds

"I can't believe I did that..." I murmur, helping Luke clean his X-Wing off, and I pull a handful of roots from one of the engine ports. 

Luke doesn't respond, and I glance over to him to find him scowling as he cleans the flaps on the wings. This causes me to sigh, as it's clear I'm the reason he's angry and upset. 

"What's wrong?" I ask, sounding a little exasperated.

He doesn't respond, so I stop what I'm doing and climb down onto the wing of the X-Wing so that I can talk to him properly. 

"Luke," I say sternly, reaching down and placing my hand on his arm, balancing precariously on the edge of the wing. "What's bothering you?"

"Nothing," he snaps, looking over at me and shrugging. "I'm just... tired."

I roll my eyes as he turns away from me. "Really?" I retort.

He huffs and looks over at me once again. "I'm a failure," he states, staring at me blankly. 

"Why? Because you couldn't lift your ship out of the lake?" I say, and he nods, his expression turning from one of anger and frustration to one of sadness. "Oh, Luke."

I drop down from the wing so I'm stood next to him, and he shakes his head, turning to me. He goes to say something, but I cut him off. 

"Do you really think that when I first started my Jedi training with Obi-Wan that I could lift a ship that size?" I say, waiting for a response, and he shakes his head once again. "Exactly. It just takes practise, Luke. Lots and lots and lots of practise."

He nods along, a small smile forming on his lips, but it doesn't take long for it to fade, his mind clearly wandering to something else that's bothering him. 

"What is it?" I ask once again, being as supportive to him as he is to me. 

He sighs heavily as he begins to speak. "During some of my training, Yoda told me about some of the teachings of the Jedi Order, and-"

I scoff before he even has the chance to finish the sentence. "Ignore it, Luke. It's a bunch of bunk, and that's coming from someone who was actually there."

He squints at me in confusion. "What do you mean?" 

"Obi-Wan, and my mother and father used to tell Zach, Evan and I about it all the time. About how they were so against fear, as if fear never once led to a saved life or an avoided accident."

"But fear leads to the dark side. Yoda told me so," he argues. 

"Maybe he thinks and preaches that in theory, but it is simply not true. Sure, there are the few who feel fear and turn to the dark side, but that becomes completely irrelevant because fear is a natural human emotion. So is anger, so is hate, so is compassion."

"But Master Yoda said-"

"I don't care what Yoda said, Luke," I snap sharply, cutting him off for a third time. "What he's teaching you about the Force is true, okay? You know, size doesn't matter and everything else. However, you need to understand that it's okay to feel these feeling and emotions. It's okay to be happy, to be sad, to be in love or to be angry. It's okay to have a 'dark side'. No one is flawless, and to pretend otherwise to live in denial."