Alina's Place

I head back towards Luke's speeder, and as I do, I spot my brother and Zach stood next to Zach's ship talking nonchalantly, while Cho, Ami, the Togruta and Twi'lek listen to them in awe. I head over to the group of them, but I'm stopped by Shara Bey.

"So, you're Natalie?" she asks, shaking my hand, and I nod at her. "I'm Lieutenant Bey, second in command to my husband."

"Nice to meet you," I smile, struggling to think of what to say next. "You and Kes seem like a great couple," I spurt out after a moment of awkward silence and dithering.

She laughs at me, taking her hand from mine. "Indeed we are. In fact, we're trying for... For a baby."

"Oh," I say, rather rashly, and I sound like I'm both shocked and disappointed. She certainly looks offended. "I didn't mean it like that, honestly. I just... I couldn't imagine bringing a child into a world like this," I tell her truthfully. "I hope that doesn't upset you."

She shakes her head. "Of course not, you're entitled to your opinion. Anyway, that's what Kes and I are fighting for. A world where we can bring up a child together. It's all we've ever wanted."

"Well, I hope it all goes smoothly," I tell her, again not really sure what to say. Zach's better at this sort of thing.

She pats me on the shoulder as she heads past me, and I can't help but feel like I've offended her, which I really don't want to have done. I stand dithering by my ship for a moment before Zach spots me and waves me over to the group of them, I go over to them.

"What's up, Nat?" he asks me as he pulls me into his side.

"I've searched for some tools, I've found some tools, and I came back to find Dex shooting Tom in the foot," I reply, and they laugh.

"Sounds incredibly eventful," Cho smiles, and I smile back at her.

"Trust me, it was," I say.

"We were just explaining some good Jedi techniques to Ayotunde and Zyana here," Zach tells me, gesturing to the Togruta and then Twi'lek, who look up at Zach and I with mesmerised looks on their faces.

"Sounds interesting," I say, nodding. Then my attention turns to Evan, and I step away from Zach and take him aside. "Excuse us," I say to the five of them.

"What is it?" he asks me as I take him round to the front of Zach's ship.

"I'm going home," I tell him. "And I was just wondering if you would like to come with me."

"Home? Not by choice, surely?" he asks me, frowning.

"No... Kes asked me to go to look for tools, weapons, anything really that might prove useful to us here." I pause. "But that doesn't mean I wouldn't have gone anyway. Why? Don't you think it's a good idea?"

"Why would you think it was a good idea?" he snaps all of a sudden.

"Hey, I was just saying, Evan," I say softly, trying to calm him down. He may be older than me, but he copes with what's happened to us a lot differently to how Zach and I cope. "It's not your fault she died, Evan. You need to stop blaming yourself for things you have no control over."