Midnight Conversations

"I expect you to be ready for drilling and shooting practise early tomorrow," the stern-lipped General Veers snaps at us as we're shoved into a room filled with plastic bunks. He smirks as he looks at us, shaking his head. "Those who fail will be scheduled to have a very special meeting with Lord Vader."

The door slides shut, leaving us alone in the plain, grey and unnerving room. I look around at our group of seventeen. The only seventeen spared from a massacre which claimed the lives of our whole town. My gaze moves to Evan's face, and I watch as he clenches his jaw.

"Are you okay?" I ask him quietly, though my voice is enough to break the silence in the room.

"No," he snaps.

He pushes past the others in our group and makes his way towards a vent in the wall. He hooks his fingers round the grates and pulls hard, grunting with effort. When this fails, he lets out a frustrated yell and punches the grates hard.

"What are you doing?" I demand, walking over to him and crossing my arms angrily.

"I'm going," he replies, pulling at the grate a second time.

"Going where?"

"Away. Away from here," he murmurs, rattling the grate. "I'm going home."

"This is our home now," I tell him sternly. "Whether you like it or not, and if you start trying to escape then who knows what they'll do to you as punishment."

He looks around at our group, which includes Zach. They all look despondent, and I doubt his words are helping them. I look back to my brother, and then I look down at myself. We're all still covered in blood, and not just our own, the blood of neighbours and friends and family. Our clothes still smell of smoke. Our skin is still burnt from the explosions.

"Look around Nat. We're not going to last five minutes here," Evan sighs. "Especially not after we took out one of their bases."

"That was your idea," Naveen, a small yet feisty girl, mumbles from the group.

"We had to take control of this situation," Evan retorts. "If you hadn't noticed, we're at war with a fascist and totalitarian Empire. If no one stands up to take charge and rebel, maybe we should, in any way possible."

"Well, thanks to your little uprising, our entire town was wiped out!" Naveen yells.

"Stop arguing!" I snap at the two of them. "Evan is right, we had to do something."

"Thank you, Natalie," Evan sighs, glaring at Naveen.

"Even if he is being completely senseless," I finish angrily, crossing my arms over my chest.

"You really think this is ideal? Our entire town, our home, has been destroyed by the Empire!" he yells at me. "Their parents are dead, and ours are likely to be soon! The people we grew up with are dead! Luci's dead!"

"I know, Evan," I say through gritted teeth, looking over to the group again, specifically at Zach. My heart aches for him, and the fact that Evan has just mentioned his sister's name has probably made him feel even worse.

"What are we going to be doing here? What are they going to do to us?" he begins to ask frantically, evidently panicked. "They wouldn't have taken us for no reason. How long are we going to be here? Days? Weeks? Months? Years?"