Polarise

Luke grips my hand tightly as the medical droid fits the cybernetic hand onto what remains on his forearm because, unfortunately, some of it couldn't be saved and had to be amputated. The wires are visible through the metal bandage extended from his forearm onto his cybernetic hand, and I watch the way they twitch, fascinated.

I give his hand a comforting squeeze every now and then. I will never know how horrible it is to lose a limb, even though I inflicted that pain on my own family. Tavia was here moments ago, rubbing both anaesthetics and antiseptics onto my burn before bandaging my whole arm, tying it up around my hand.

The door suddenly slides open to reveal Leia and the two droids standing on the other side. Artoo and Threepio have been cleaned up - Threepio perfectly back together - and Leia is wearing her white diplomatic gown like she did three years ago, though her hair is in one bun instead of two this time.

"Oh! Miss Hawkins and Master Luke!" Threepio exclaims as he shuffles into the room after Leia, and I hold my newly bandaged hand up to him to tell him to calm down, Artoo trundling behind the both of them, and I stand from the edge of the medical bed I was perched on to greet Leia.

"Are you okay?" I ask her as she hugs me tightly, and I wince as my arm presses against her body.

She nods as she rests her head on my shoulder. "What about you and Luke?"

"We're good," I reply as she comes away from me, and she smiles sadly at me as we both head over to Luke.

"Lando and Chewie are heading out in the Falcon to search for Han," Leia tells us as I sit back on the bed, peering at the cybernetic hand still being fitted onto Luke's forearm. It looks like a real hand, and I'm mesmerised by it, really. I've never seen one up close.

"Do they have any idea where he might be?" I ask, and she shakes her head. "Have you got him on a transmission or something?"

This time she nods, and she hands me a comlink from her belt. "They're in the Falcon," she tells me as I switch it on an initiate a transmission.

"Lando?" I say, holding the comlink to my mouth.

"Hey Nat," he replies, and Chewie groans in acknowledgement in the background, making me smile.

"Jabba has a large palace on Tatooine somewhere in the most desolate canyons," I tell him. "Very hard to find."

"Alright Nat," he says. "We're ready for take off."

"Good luck," Luke says from beside me, smiling.

"When we find Jabba the Hutt, and that bounty hunter, we'll contact you," Lando assures us.

"Hey, Lando," Luke says, holding his left hand out for the comlink, and I pass it to him. "We'll schedule a rendezvous somewhere on Tatooine when you find him. It's a pretty desolate hunk of dust."

His remark about our home planet causes me to smile, and also makes me wonder if he's been back at all since we left for Alderaan.

"Princess," Lando begins, and Leia looks up. "We'll find Han. I promise."

She smiles slightly.

"Chewie, I'll be waiting for your signal," Luke says, and the three of us listen as he groans and wails a reply, smiling between each other. "Take care, you two."

"And may the Force be with you," I add.

Leia takes her comlink back, and then turns and heads over to the huge window, staring out at the bright blue and white spiral galaxy in front of us, watching as the dense mass swirls in space, small fighters darting in front of it every now and then.