The Forest Moon

Han steers us in a steep dive through the atmosphere of the forest moon, and I hear a sharp gasp from Luke beside me as we descend towards the trees. 

"What?" I ask, frowning in concern. Vader hasn't followed us, has he?

"Nothing... I just..." He pauses, glancing to me, and he breathes out a sad sigh. "I've never seen this much green in the whole galaxy," he says, pursing his lips into a small smile. 

I nod, smiling back, Han continuing our descent into a small clearing amongst the thicket, and there's a light thud as we touch down onto the dirt.

Han turns to us, a cocky smirk on his face. "What about that, huh?" he says. "Easy."

"Truly incredible," I shoot back with a smile as we begin to unbuckle our seatbelts and stand from the uncomfortable hard, grey chairs. "Though you're used to flying a piece of junk, aren't you?"

Chewie grunts, seemingly amused, and Luke smirks back at Han, the two of us heading out of the cockpit and pulling our helmets on before he has a chance to answer. 

"How was the ride up front?" Kes calls from amongst the other troops, all of whom are busy packing last minute equipment into rucksacks, slinging blaster rifles over their shoulders and pulling on their halo helmets.

"Alright. Here?" I reply, frowning at his weary face. 

Kes gives me a look, making me smile. "Just... don't."

I let out a quiet laugh at the look of utter disgust he's feigning, Kes pulling on his helmet as we follow the other troops down the lowered ramp. 

I'm immediately struck by the environment I find myself in; I've never seen anything like it in my entire life. We've landed in a clearing, surrounded by the moon's dark, primeval forest, our stolen Shuttle dwarfed by ancient, towering trees, their gnarly trunks seemingly going on forever, disappearing into the grey sky. There's a lush, fresh smell around me, making my nose tingle. 

"Look at this place," I whisper to Luke as we follow Han, Chewie and Leia, the rest of our strike team single file behind us. Branches and leaves crunch beneath our feet as we weave a path through the dense thicket of ferns and bushes, the terrain beneath our feet getting steeper with every step. 

I glance behind me every once and a while to keep an eye on our contingent, worried about an ambush, especially on Artoo and Threepio. They're struggling over the uneven terrain, and I spot Kes having to hold Threepio's arm to keep him steady at the rear of the squad. I gesture to the troops, asking them if they're okay, and receive nods in return. 

When I avert my gaze back to up ahead, I find that Han and Leia have reached a small crest in the hill, dropping suddenly to the ground. Han reaches up, signalling for the strike team to stop and duck, and we all crouch to the ground. 

"Oh! I told you it was dangerous here!" Threepio complains, flailing his arms. 

"Shut up!" I hear Kes hiss back, clearly already irritated by Threepio's neuroticism. 

Chewie gestures for Luke and I to follow Han and Leia, who have continued making there way towards the top of the crest. We quietly crawl up to take a look, watching our step on the uneven ground, not wanting the compromise the mission by snapping a twig.