Chapter 3 - "Police..."

John stared at the wall for a moment not too sure how to react to everything in the last half an hour when something else came up that he just didn't expect.

'Mr Smith?'

'Hmm?' John said looking up and taking a deep breath.

'Where do we put the baby?'

'Huh?' John asked dumbfounded as he spotted the infant in the car seat.

'Was she in the car?' John demanded suddenly stepping forwards and seeing looking over the baby as she squirmed in the seat.

'Yes. But she was double checked at the scene, and had been taken up to paediatrics. She's just fine' they nodded. 'Where do we put her?'

'Wait what?'

'Well she can't look after herself - she looks about 2 months old' the paramedic said shaking her head.

John knew immediately this was going to be a long night.

'Give her here. Does she have a name?' John asked clutching the handle of the car seat.

'No idea. She was in the car. We don't know what her name is. We know nothing about the poor kid. Only that she was in the female drivers car.

'How did she get out of this without a scratch?' John said baffled.

'These things are amazing but it was only the front of the car that got crushed' the paramedic shrugged.

'Okay. I'll sort her. Thanks' John said running a hand through his hair and shaking his head.

He looked down at the baby with big brown eyes and smiled at her. 'What are we going to do with you?' He sighed.

- - -

John cleaned himself up, grabbing the iPad and motioned the police into his office, placing the baby seat on the desk.

'Something tells me your about to make my life a lot more complicated than it needs to be - but go on' John said sitting down in the chair for a 5 minute breather, analysing the scans.

There was something about this scan that didn't seem right that he couldn't quite put his finger on.

'The Male driver. How is he?' One asked.

John looked up and didn't really want to share this news... But felt he had no choice.

'He was crushed quite severely in the crash. Several of his organs were failing. There was nothing more that we could do. He died about 20 minutes ago' John confirmed, and they started talking amongst themselves. Plotting and scheming something.

'And the girl?'

'Not too sure at the moment. She's stable for now' he said looking back at the scans and zooming in.

'She's under police protection okay. Do you have a name?'

'Clara Oswald. 28 years old' John confirmed having got the correct information. 'Now as her consultant - are you going to tell me what happened?' John asked eyebrow raised, as he watched the baby in front of him blowing bubbles and squirming away.