Chapter 25 - "The Graveyard Shift..."

John flicked a pen at the wall that was in front of him.

Then he swivelled back in his chair about 10cm to see if it would hit the same place.

4 pens later and he thought he might go mad.

It was only 4am and he really thought he might go mad. Everyone was asleep and not much was happening.

Most people that come in now go via the ED and straight to the wards. It gets them out quicker, and not much was happening around him - the main reason as to why John thought he might loose his mind.

He'd already spent the evening catching up on all his paper work, organised his office for whoever was coming in as his cover, placed all the presents in Adie's room and checked on all his patients three times.

Which is what led him to start browsing the internet.

And John started calculating dates.

She would need two more days in hospital, and a follow up appointment a week later, the stitches will come out before discharge, but would be in the clear to fly a week later, and John's a Doctor so he can monitor the progress of her arm.

So by January second she would be clear for flying.

If John was having a break from this place and really going to get to know his Daughter - what better way than by going on holiday?

It was a bit if an impulsive decision for him - considering that he hadn't taken a holiday in over 6 years. In fact the last time he would have holidayed properly probably would have been his honeymoon.

Either way he spent the remainder of the early hours keeping himself awake by searching great holiday destinations.

By 7am he found himself hunting his office for his debit card, and booking two tickets for six weeks to Florida.

He doesn't want to buy his Daughters love and affection but she deserved a little fun, and seeing as he can do that for her... He was going to do it.

So he booked two tickets for the 31st of January to Florida, finding the perfect two bedroom villa, a short walk from the beach.

It meant it gives her time to recover and also gives them something to look forward too.

'Your going on holiday?' Rory asked, collecting the pieces of printed paper from the printer smelling of fresh ink, and analysed them.

'Yeah. But impulsive but why not?' John said, snatching the paper from Rory's hand.

'But why? And six weeks? Isn't that a bit extravagant?'

'I haven't taken leave in years Rory. I haven't even taken a holiday in years. I can't sit around at home the entire time. I'll go mad. And she deserves some fun' John said, pushing himself off the chair and went to Adie's room.

But it was empty.

- - -

Adie woke up at 6.30am and looked out the window.  

It was still pretty dark so she knew that it was night time but also that she needed to pee: so she jumped off the bed, clutching her teddy wanting to look for John.

She spotted him walk into a room, and decided to follow him in there, but he walked out before he saw her.

'Hello' Clara said looking down at the small child in her room.

'Hi'

'What are you doing in here?' Clara asked, as the brunette girl wandered towards Clara who to Adie looked quite motherly.

She looked like a friendly person and so Adie warmed to Clara almost instantly.

'I was looking for my Daddy. He keeps coming in here' Adie said.

'Oh. Your John's daughter? Your Daddy is looking after me and making me feel better'

'He's looking after me too. I get to go and live with him instead of going with Mummy and the step-dragon' she said very proud of this fact.

Clara's eyes widened thinking about that and smiled. Step dragon. She wished shed thought of that one for her step Mum.

'Are you looking for him because Santa has been?' She asked, swinging her legs around the side of the bed and looked at her.

'No. I need to pee' Adie admitted, still clutching the teddy.

'Oh. Shall I take you? I have toilet right here' Clara said pointing at the door, where she motioned Adie in, and smiled.

'What's your name?' Adie asked, as Clara admired the bravery of the little girl.

'Clara. And what's yours?'

'Adelyn. But Daddy calls me Adie'

- - -

John panicked just a little before seeing Clara out of her bed too, and thought for a moment that Clara might have abducted her but he quickly realised that was a stupid thought when he saw Adie come out of Clara's bathroom.

'Adie you can't just run into other people's rooms' John snapped at her, although he was trying not to.

He barely knows the kid and doesn't want to start their time off together shouting at her.

'I was looking for you' she said nervously, as Clara sat back down on the bed.

'Come on. Let's go and see if Santa has been' John smiled, holding out a hand to her and she squeaked excitedly.

'He has Daddy. He has' Adie confirmed. 'But I want to stay here' she said.

'This isn't your room. Maybe you can come back later' John says as Clara cut him off.

She was feeling a little lonely anyway. She couldn't see her own Daughter today so why not spend the day with someone else's?

'She can stay' Clara announced.

'Really?' John asked curious.

'Yeah. I mean your working, and I'm lonely. I can't see my own Daughter and she's quite nice to talk too' Clara shrugged.

John shook his head in confusion but let go of her hand as she ran into the other room and came back with her stocking. 'Santa has been' she announced.

- - -

'I'm so sorry' John announced as he watched Adie playing with the sylvanian families she wanted. She seemed rather concerned about getting all the ones she has at home but John figured he could get them later.

'She's no trouble really. It's kind of nice having a little one around. Makes it feel more like Christmas' she said sitting up with crossed legs, and poked at a potato.

'To be honest your probably okay for discharge tomorrow. Can't promise anything but it looks pretty likely' John shrugged.

'Wow. Never thought that day would come' she sighed, thinking about all the things she's got to do.

She has a bloody baby to raise and no money to do it with.

'About the boyfriend... His body--'

'Call his Mum. She'll come I . Just please wait until me and Aria are out of here?' Clara begged.