40th♀

40th♀

Ami/Haneul 

I stared blankly at the ceiling after cleaning out my dusty room back at home. I held the watch closely once again, deciding whether to visit my mother's wedding or not. It sounded fun, so why not? I wasn't going to go as the girl I always pretend to be. I'm going to go as I usually am—not Kim Haneul but not Kim Ami either. 

It sounded odd, I know. But there was a border line of both sides where they sit on top of each other perfectly and create me, a person who wasn't sure who I was anymore. 

I played with the watch in my hand again and nodded. I knew what I had to do. It would be mean to wreck a happy day like that but Mom was the reason I never got to have a happy day over the past years. I got up from my bed and grabbed oppa's old tuxedo from his closet. It was still clean, still untouched. It would do for this time. Let it serve its purpose one last time. 

♀~♀~♀

I waited outside the hotel Mom and Changmin had their wedding, hiding from all the guests, in case they recognized me. So far, there were no signs of the Hamji High boys. Great. I don't think I could face them after leaving like that. 

Once all the guests left, Mom and Changmin emerged from the entrance door. Fixing my tuxedo one last time, I approached the both of them with a poker face. 

"Kim Haneul! What a surprise seeing you here!" Changmin greeted happily. 

"Funny. I'm not Kim Haneul," I said, keeping my face as straight as possible. I tucked my hand away inside my pocket and took a step forward and eyed Mom, who was examining me. 

"You're not Kim Haneul? Ey, don't joke around," Changmin said with his bright smile, patting onto my arm. 

I was staring at Mom intensely as I said, "I'm not Kim Haneul. I'm Kim Ami."

I waited to see if Mom's face expression changed, and it did. The confusion on her face changed into shock as she tried to reason out to Changmin, "This student sure is funny, isn't he?"

"Actually," I said, grabbing both of their attentions. I looked from Changmin to Mom before admitting, "I'm both Kim Haneul and Kim Ami. That's right. I lied about going to an all-girls school. I actually went to an all-boys school—Hamji High."

Both of them were silent and remained that way for a minute or so.

"So... that time... at the nurse office, that was... you?" Changmin slowly pieced everything together. 

With another poker face, I nodded. 

Mom fell into silence by this time as she dropped her bouquet of flowers. 

I reached for it and picked it off the ground, dusting it ever so slightly. "See, Mom has been hiding a fact from you all these times. I'm not the same girl you saw. I've always been the tomboy type and Mom just continues to lie to everyone. She lied to me about my dad and brother dying, she lied to you about who I really am. She'll never stop lying."

Changmin was shocked to hear this. He slowly craned his neck to look at Mom as he shakily asked, "Kim Dojin... he's not dead?"

"I-I can explain!" Mom said in a hurry. 

I shoved the flowers into her grip and told Changmin, "It's your choice whether to file a divorce tomorrow or not. She'll always lie for her whole life." 

Just like that, I left. 

Jeonghan