Ch. 23 - Stoic Partner. Not.

Sophie's POV

Alex, Nate and I spent the remaining lunch time in a coffee shop a block away from the school. And I'm eternally grateful for the older brother's presence.

He was so talkative and energetic which pulls Nate's attention, even though it was against his will. It helped me to be as normal as possible around the brooding Alpha. And fortunately, Alex didn't say a word about my encounter to the monster.

"You wished to be a princess when we were little!" Alex accused and threw a fries at Nate who is full scowling in return.

"No, I'm not." He grumbled.

"You were dancing around the living room in a pink dress!" Alex countered. "Your nanny even caught it on tape!" he said with so much conviction that if other people see him, they would think that he was talking a very serious fact.

I full out laughed and stopping myself to fall at my chair. Alex sniggered at the defeated look on Nate and gave me a high five.

"You should be on my side." He growled at me.

"Hell no. I would pay to see your princess phase." I wheezed out between my laugh.

My jaw is mildly hurting from my hyena laugh when I gathered myself before we go back to the school. Separately, of course. Not. As if Nate would allow me to walk back alone.

"I supposed the monster attack earlier with be kept hidden from the bodyguard no.1?" Alex asked in a whisper as we walk our way outside of the diner.

"Yes, please." I said and glanced at Nate, who is already unlocking the car. "Bodyguard no.1?" I asked.

"Yep, and I'm the no.2." he said proudly.

"I don't know what my siblings would say about that." I smirked. But instead getting a playful response like I expected, his face drop into an confused state.

"So they are here?" he asked which I only nodded.

"Are you friends with them?" I asked dumbly, which he replied with a shook of his head that was supported with a frown.

"I didn't get a chance to bond with them. You were the only one that keeps visiting us in that forest-like house." He informed before forcing a smile.

A loud honk interrupted our conversation, and then we turned and see Nate waving impatiently at me. I sighed but smiled at his eagerness to get away from his brother.

It's a blessing that it was lunch and all the student body was in the canteen. If anyone sees the Mclein brothers walking like a pair of runway model in the hallways with me in front of them it would be another booming gossip for sure.

"Thank you for the company, guys!" Alex chirped and slapped Nate's back. Alex actually wanted to hug his brother but the boy in topic refused at any cost. The older Mclein sent me a wave goodbye before walking away from us.

"He was so touchy with you... almost like Vicky with me." I said.

"Your sister is more bearable than him." he grumbled. "He hadn't even submitted to you."

"Who cares about that? He's nice. Like a breath of fresh air." I said distractedly. Nate looked at me a moment with an unreadable expression before talking in a clipped voice.