Ch. 47 - First Layer

N/A: buckle up, darling.

Sophie's POV

The drive went on about 45minutes before he hastily stepped on the brake in the middle of nowhere.

Still in his tensed form, he opened his door and walked out, leaving me to watch him as he paced. Looking around I found us in the boundary of woods, the soothing view of healthy trees and soil sent my wondering thought into a mild comfort.

I was too coped in the house to realize that I'm a nature type of girl.

Bringing back my attention to the Alpha, I made my out of the vehicle as walked towards to his brooding form. I stopped a few feet away from him, knowing that he could feel my uneasiness.

He looked over his shoulder, as if checking on me with his emotionless eyes before walking further in the woods. With my trust that as high as could superman fly, I followed instantly, wanting to walk beside him but due to our leg difference, I was kept facing his back.

"Nathan." I softly called after long minutes of walking in silence. He stopped at my voice but didn't faced me as I wanted to. Instead, he leaned at the nearest tree and run his hand on his face before taking a deep breath.

"I shouldn't have gone back to you." He finally talked in low and controlled voice. "I shouldn't aimed so high and get you. God, I'm a delusional moron who's wanting someone that should never be his."

He looked at me, with eyes lacking in emotion that I crave. "I shouldn't tried and reach up to you. You are better suited to anyone but to a bastard like me."

His use of his words to himself ignited fire within me. But I kept it in, laying closely to let him get out whatever he wants to spout. However, my mouth took hold of my sanity.

"I love you." I urged. Begged for something for him to understand.

Three words. Three words that everyone is scare to admit, but these three words doesn't do half justice to what I feel to the man who looks broken in front of me.

His icy look cracked as the words sink into him. His tensed postured went more rigid yet his face was contoured with sorrow. "No." he whispered as he stressfully shake his head. "You can't."

"I love you, Nathan."

"You shouldn't." he replied in a shaky voice. He heaved a sigh as he ruffled his hair in distress. "I shouldn't even feel this- this wholeness I feel when I hear you say it." He emphasized, to himself or to me. I don't know.

"Too late, Nate." I said in a hushed tone, walking closer to him and stopping until I was facing him. "I'm in too deep to deny that I'm in love with you." I slowly reached my both hands and softly cupped his face.

He hissed at the contact, shutting his eyes as he obviously fight himself from leaning to my touch.

"I'm a monster." He croaked brokenly.

"You're not." I whispered, leaned in and kissed his forehead as lovingly as I could. "Not to me."

This however ignited a different pattern to him as he pushed himself away, as if he was burnt. I cannot stop the slip of rejection in me, but I fought and caught myself as I stared at him in expectation.

He was breathing and shaking rapidly. Looking at me with conflict in his eyes, I remained standing. Waiting for his next move. Armed and prepared to be destroyed along with him.

His eyes left mine momentarily as it glanced to a tree then went back to meet mine.

"Not yet." He said. Defeated. Then walked behind the tree that he is eyeing earlier.