Ch. 9 - Surprise!

Sophie's POV

"What?!" I shrieked.

"I gave up mine as soon as I shifted to my wolf." He said with a grin.

"You what?! Are you mad?! What would happen to your destined mate?!" He only smiled at my outranged reaction and pulled me to him. He is too strong it's so unfair.

"Relax, I haven't met my destined mate, and never will be. The impact of my compliant to that condition was different from the effect that caused from the rejection of a mate. The Moon Goddess would select another mate for the supposed destined mate. simple."

His explanation was enough to ease my conscience. "Not all the Alpha of a pack needs to comply on that stupid condition right?"

"Nope. The only ones who want to have you." I realized that we were back to our earlier position as I felt his hold on my shoulder tighten.

He basically told, indirectly, that he wants me.

Oh gosh why am I such a girl sometimes?

"Yes, I thought I've been straight and forward about wanting you?" his words brought my eyes to go wide with alarm.

Did I say it out loud?

"Yes, you did." Damn my inexistent mouth filter. To cover my embarrassment, I went to a different topic direction.

"Do you only want me because of the power I could give to you?" I just really want to avoid his teasing, but the loud and aggressive growl he released made me think otherwise.

"I don't care about the power." He growled as he looked directly on my eyes. "I don't even care being an Alpha. I just want you. I need you. And only you. All the other things could just go to hell." The intensity of his words, his feelings, caught me unguarded. His eyes were mixed with sincerity, hurt and anger. And I know I caused that.

I reached my hand to touch his face, he didn't faze. But I continued. "I'm sorry, for doubting you. All the answers you gave made my mind chaotic, but I was wrong for doubting you." Finally, his rapid breathing slowed. He closed his eyes and leaned further to my touch. He held the hand that was on his face and kissed it palm before putting it back to its original position.

"Let's take a break on this Mate talk." I concluded with a sigh. I moved myself in a more comfortable position- or dare I say, I snuggled closer to him, which he gladly accommodated.

"Then let's talk about your protection." He inquired, making me groan.

"Is it about my self-barrier that will vanish on my birthday?"

"Yes, and that'll make you an easy target, unless you're with me or when you learned to use your powers." This perked my interest.

"I have powers?" the excitement on my voice wasn't go unnoticed by him, which only made him chuckle at my sudden positive reaction.

"Yes, though no one could say what is it and how you could use it, again, only you would know." This made me groan again.

"Fine. Now go back to the protection topic you're saying."

"Bossy, aren't you?"

"Just get on with it."

"That's what she-" I slapped my hand on his mouth before he finish his sentence. My annoyance was growing as soon as I caught the teasing look on his eyes. He is so enjoying this.

"Nathan..." I warned, he rolled his eyes but his amusement was still there. He nodded. And put up his hands in a mock surrender.

"Don't worry about that, just let me handle it." He said with a smile, an innocent smile.

I don't trust that smile.

- - - - -

"Good morning class. Since Mrs. Sanchez is on a maternity leave, I'll be your temporary math teacher, I'm Nathan Mclien."

Kill me now.

I knew it. I knew I couldn't trust that smile! Is this the protection he's talking about? To be by my side for almost 24/7? Okay okay, I got his point. And I'm thankful for his care for my safety, but to be my teacher? Does he even have a license to do this job?

"Please stop pacing, I'm getting dizzy just by watching you." The moron said, but I ignored him and went to continue my internal rant. He is so crazy that my mind couldn't keep up. Argh! And does he need to be an ass while executing his so-called disguise?

Currently, I'm stuck here in his classroom for a detention. A detention he initiated for me to have. Hell, as soon as found out his scheme, my mind became a wild mess. Everything we talked about yesterday was still very fresh in my mind. So I planned to embrace my time away from him at school to think things through.

But no! The stupid caveman was unable to take a hint! I know he's doing it for my sake, but he doesn't need to use his newly acquired occupation to test my patience.

"Angel, I'm so sorry. I did wrong." He said, still leaning on his desk.

"Understatement."

"Just please forgive me?" he pouted, which usually works to ease my annoyance, but thankfully, I'm too angry at him on the moment to give in to his weapon.

"Don't act innocent, I know you will do this again."

He grinned shyly like a boy caught on the act.

"You gave me a detention!" I cried.

"You were talking with your seatmate." He countered.

"She just asked me a question related to your subject! I just nodded my head as an answer!"

"Whatever."

"I didn't even said a word. Why didn't you gave my seatmate a detention too?!"

"And to let her ruin our alone time? I don't think so." His lack of shame was so unbelievable. As so was his childishness.

"This is an abuse of power!"

"And I'm enjoying it. Thank you very much."

You're enjoying it too much. God, I'll never ever get through the thick skull of this man.

I sighed, defeated and exhausted. I sat on the nearest chair and finally looked at him. He's wearing a navy blue dress shirt that was rolled up to his elbows, a black pants, and a black leather shoes which screams thousands of dollars. In total, he looks so mysterious and mouthwatering with all the dark colors combined on his outfit.

I took a glance to what I'm wearing and rolled my eyes.

"You're building a very unhealthy habit, Nate." I looked back to his eyes only to see that he was already staring at me. He grinned and shrugged.

"I failed to see on what's unhealthy at being matched fashionably."

"If you're going to be here for my protection, at least try to keep it low profile."

As soon the words left my lips, I instantly felt stupid. Nate is anything but low profile. His presence is enough to drown attention to him. Another disadvantage for him to be here.

Does my life would never be normal?

3 more days...