Ch. 24 - Burning Trash

Sophie's POV

Cold.

That's what Nate is like today. He took a glance at me when I entered his class earlier but other than that. Nothing. He didn't even gave me a detention for once!

Not that I'm asking for it. But, he's just acting so weird.

After his class I met Cassy at the hallway and went to her locker to put her things. Of course, she ranted about her physics class before asking me about my day. But her reaction wasn't I expected.

Cassy literally dropped her books when I told her the details about my English project. Her eyes and mouth were wide open, that it actually scares me that her jaw might break.

"I know, right?! I swear our teacher is trying to punish us to something-" I started to say when she got stuck like that in a full minute.

"Cole?" she asked in a low voice, I almost didn't catch it. "Cole Anderson?"

I don't know what's she's on about but I just nodded my head for her.

"You mean to say, that your partner is the Cole Anderson? For the whole month?" her voice is getting louder and louder by each syllable.

I fight the urge to step back as I nodded my head again for confirmation.

"Is that all you got from my rant?" I asked with a raised eyebrow, yet she wasn't intimidated and only continued to gape at me. A gasp left her lips then, before she squealed and jumped like a rabbit in a hard drug around me. She stopped in front of me and gave me her killer hug.

"What's the big deal?" I asked, totally freaked out, while trying to push away the overly excited friend of mine. She finally let me go after sometime, and in a much contained action.

"Don't you know that Cole is just the star quarter back of our school?" she asked as she finally continued to put her dropped books to her locker.

"I didn't know that." I mumbled.

"I mean okay, you're not interested in school sports. But really? That guy is good!" she said like explaining a simple thing to a child.

"Good... like how good?" I asked, genuinely curious.

"He already secured a scholarship at Ole Miss. That good." She said and slammed her locker door shut. She looked at me and sighed in awe. "The student body will so ship you." She said.

"They what?"

"Oh my, how would the black knight react about this?" she continued.

"Who's gonna react about what?"

"The untouchable angel and the white prince." She sighed and begun walking, leaving me clueless and confused at the spot.

"Stop talking in riddles!" I shouted and run after her.

"Young love..." she went on.

"Cassy!"

"I don't know what ship I want to sail now!"

Unfortunately, I failed to understand what Cassy has been saying. But it's the least of my problem. What really worries me is the fact that Nate hasn't said a word throughout our drive home.