Ch. 36 - Confusion

Sophie's POV

"You've got to be kidding me." I laughed as Alex belted the line where Gaston shows off his vocals at the beginning of the musical. So the notebook was declined but was substituted by a set of Disney classics.

There was no force or pushing needed, surprisingly, Alex just hopped on board. Bu this is Alex, right? This is not supposed to be surprising at all.

The man in topic glared at my wheezing form but rolled his eyes as he continued his super diva acts. "How old are you anyway?" I asked when he was satisfied with his antics and went back sitting beside me.

"29." He sighed and swallowed a spoonful of chocolate ice cream. My eye widen in horror as I shamelessly stared at his face. "What?" he asked with a knowing smirk playing on his lips.

"You're even older than my brother?!" I shrieked. By looking younger than Nate, the fact that he is the older brother was already hard to get used to. But I couldn't grasp the thought that he was three years older than to my beast-like brother. "Do you even age?!"

"Hey, it's the genes!" he defended, lazily pointing the spoon on my face. "If I could share the trait to your lineage, I would. But unfortunately, you choose the older looking brother." He teased as he snatched the whole bucket out of my hands.

Well, technically I haven't chosen anyone. But that's not the point is there, Sophie dearest?

What the- I turned around, so fast that I almost turned my neck in a wrong way, trying to find where the voice came from. Seeing nothing, my mind involuntarily ran wildly on how familiar the sound was.

Paranoia overwhelmed my senses as I-

"Hey, Sophie!" Alex called, snapping me out from the unknown suddenness.

"W-what?"

"You zoned out. Does my age really shocked you that much?" his eyebrows raised in amusement as he asked with a playful grin.

"N-no- I mean, yes. Yeah." I mumbled almost incoherently. Trying to shake the freaky voice that I swear I heard. No no no, I'm probably just tired. Yeah. I'll stick with that. I don't need to be paranoid.

Still, I found myself trying to hear something. Anything.

"If I'm boring you, then I will be severely offended." I snapped my eyes open, without even knowing that I closed them. My sight was welcomed with a frowning Mclein.

"I'm sorry. I'm just- tired, I guess." I said sheepishly. Turning his frown to concern he asked. "Are you okay? Are you feeling ill? I'm sorry for pushing you too much! God, you should've complained when-"

Unconsciously, I smoothly placed my finger over his lips- like it was a natural act of mine, effectively shutting him up. "I'm just literally tired, nothing with a little rest couldn't cure." I assured. Pushing the unwanted thoughts away, I forced my mind to wonder in a different path to distract myself.

As thoughts continue to conjure my mind, a tinge of answer was lighten for me to grab.

"Alex." I quietly called.

"Hm?" he responded attentively, but I his movement to continue eating the ice cream was not missed.

"Is it really okay for Nate to stay here? I mean- away from the pack?"