Chapter 24

Louis's Point of View

"Okay kids, into the Town Hall!" Nina's voice was strained and worried. Louis wondered what was happening this time.

Louis and the other seven kids lined up single file. They walked towards the Town Hall, the Creektown alarm blaring in the background.

This was the second time this week they had to go to the Town Hall. Last time it was that huge monster attack. Louis wondered what it was this time.

He looked around the town as they walked. Blue, Chick, Matster, and Audrey were over by the watchtower, looking at something in the distance. A house was in his way, so Louis couldn't see what they were looking at. They looked anxious and afraid, though.

Nina opened the Town Hall door and the kids walked inside. Jean and her two assistants--Ms. Donna and Ms. Diane--were inside as well, as well as Hal the Villager priest and a few other civilians.

The kids walked over to the corner with no windows and sat down, like they had been trained to do. Nina smiled at them encouragingly, but Louis knew it was fake.

He was eight years old, the oldest out of all the kids in the daycare. Something had changed inside him when Steve and Jean had talked about his parents like they were some kind of burden. Like they would sidetrack them from their real duty.

They thought his parents were dead. Louis knew they weren't. He could feel it.

He had debated running away from Creektown to go find his parents on his own, but decided against it. He was too afraid to go out there by himself. Especially with Herobrine on the loose.

Louis looked around at the other kids. He knew all their names: Gabe, Josh, James, Kaitlyn, Makayla, Taylor, and Emily. But he never talked to any of them. They were all between the ages of three and six, too young for Louis to be friends with.

Emily was doing a small pocket puzzle she had brought with her on the ground. She really loved her puzzles.

At the moment, Louis couldn't tell what it was going to make, but he was sure Emily knew. She was placing puzzle pieces rapidly, as if she already knew where they belonged.

Jean and her assistants were discussing something worriedly. Jean looked distracted for some reason.

Louis heard commotion outside. There were explosions, and strange noises. Louis had never heard heard those noises before, but it sounded like some sort of big monster.

Someone suddenly burst into the room, making everyone jump. But then they all realized it was just Chick. She must have been trying to escape whatever monster was out there.

She was out of breath, but she smiled at the kids. Her face was flushed.

"Is everyone okay out there?" Jean asked.

Chick nodded. "Yeah. Everyone's fine. It's just the Wither. No big deal." She was trying to sound confident, but failing.

Wait.

Did she say the Wither?

Chick slapped a hand over her mouth when she remembered the kids were there. A few of them started crying. Emily continued doing her puzzle.