Chapter 63

Jay's Point of View

Jay fell to his knees, his eyes shut tight in horror.

He had just witnessed Manga being murdered, and there was nothing he could do about it.

But Jay could have prevented it if he had rescued Manga the day before.

It's all Zaryn's fault, Jay thought as he tried to get the image of Manga's dead body out of his brain. We could have saved him.

Tears started to fall down Jay's face. Nothing was going as planned. Manga was dead, Kirai's memories were gone, and Herobrine was growing more powerful.

Jay felt a hand on his shoulder. He looked up, and saw Steve looking at him, tears in his eyes, too.

The entire Resistance--minus Nomis--was still sitting before them, all with various expressions on their faces. From anger to sadness to fear, the Resistance looked broken.

"How are we supposed to beat Herobrine when he has servants who can kill us in an instant?" Audrey asked.

"We can't," Pete replied bitterly.

"There's no hope," Crystal wailed.

"We might as well just kill ourselves now," Tre added.

The members of the Resistance army kept calling out similar hopeless things. Jay looked at Steve, who was staring at them in despair, but it didn't look like he knew what to say. Jean was the same way.

The Resistance was broken.

Suddenly, the doors at the back of the Town Hall slammed open. Everyone turned around to see who had entered late.

It was Nomis.

"We can't just give up," she said, loud enough for everyone to hear. "We've come this far fighting Herobrine, why stop now?"

The Resistance was silent, unsure of how to answer that question.

"Herobrine killed Fire. He killed Blue. He killed Sharky, and he killed Scullscan. He killed Manga. Are we going to let him kill the rest of us?" Nomis asked as she walked up the center aisle.

Wait.

Scullscan was dead, too? When did that happen?

"We know the ingredients to the potion that will kill him," Nomis said as she reached the front of the Town Hall, where Steve and Jay were. "All we need to do is collect them, make the potion, and throw it at him. How hard can that be?"

A few Resistance members murmured their approval.

"So go out and get those ingredients!" Nomis exclaimed. "We will make this potion, and we will kill Herobrine!"

The Resistance cheered.

"Meeting adjourned," Jean croaked, but nobody heard her. They were all running out of the building, ready to kill Herobrine.

Nomis walked up to Steve. He immediately collapsed into her arms. She looked surprised, but she put her comforting arms around him.

Jay needed someone he could do that with. But he couldn't with Kirai.

Because of Zaryn.

Jay stood up and swore vengeance on not just Zaryn, but also Herobrine for corrupting that wizard's mind.

Kirai was still sitting in a chair in the back of the Town Hall. She hadn't been affected by Nomis's speech, because she didn't remember the people that Herobrine had killed.