Chapter 56

Kirai's Point of View (the_iron_dragon)

It was almost dawn. The sky was gray. The sun would be rising soon.

Jay, Kirai, and Zaryn were still walking. It had almost been 24 hours since they left Creektown. They hadn't stopped walking once.

Zaryn was walking slightly ahead of Jay and Kirai. The couple held hands as they walked, their weapons in their inventory.

A Zombie ambled in their direction. Zaryn pointed his wand at it without looking, and shot a beam of magic. The Zombie died. Zaryn kept walking.

"Why couldn't you have done all this when we were fighting the mutants?" Jay asked.

Zaryn shrugged. "Too dangerous. Might've hit a Resistance member."

"We're Resistance members, too," Kirai replied. "So you're fine with hitting us?"

"I haven't yet," Zaryn pointed out, still not looking back at them.

Kirai rolled her eyes. They walked in silence again.

Earlier, they had passed the ruins of New Block City. The search team had made it there before, but turned around after reaching it. But according to Zaryn, they just had to go a few thousand blocks further.

Kirai wished Zaryn had had his vision before they fell into the maze. If he had, they would've found Herobrine's lair a long time ago.

"Hey Kirai?" Jay asked.

"Yes?"

"Remember how jealous you got whenever I spoke to another girl in the Resistance?"

"I did not," Kirai protested.

"You did," Jay snorted.

"Did not!"

"Did too!"

"Did not!"

"You did and you know it. But you haven't shown it in awhile. So I'm proud of you," Jay explained.

"That's because we've been busy with Herobrine's crap," Kirai said.

"So once this is over you'll go back to being jealous?" Jay asked with a grin.

"Only if you decide to hang out with other girls more than me," Kirai answering, also grinning.

"I'll make sure that doesn't happen," Jay said.

"We're getting close," Zaryn spoke up. He turned around and walked backwards. "But be careful. The ground isn't very stable. There are caves below, and the monsters down there are very hostile. They're used to being alone, unlike the ones in the Sectors, so they'll attack more violently."

Jay nodded. "Thanks for the heads up. How much farther do we need to go?"

Zaryn turned back around. "I'd say five hundred blocks or so. So watch your step until we get there. Don't step on any--"

Kirai had been watching Zaryn, but she suddenly felt the ground give way beneath her. She and Jay both fell into a ravine.

Kirai landed on her stomach on a man-made wooden bridge across the ravine. Jay fell past her and would've fallen into the lava if he hadn't grabbed onto a stone ledge jutting out from the wall.