Chapter 84

Steve's Point of View

Steve reappeared after drinking the potion, still crying. He wanted to be dead with Nomis. Why did he listen to her and drink the teleportation potion?

Suddenly, he became aware of very loud noises coming from everywhere at once. Steve looked up.

He wasn't in Creektown.

There were tall buildings lining the road. It was early morning, and swarms of people walked through the streets. Markets were selling goods. Everyone was busy. There was a large billboard on one of the buildings.

"Welcome to Geph"

Steve fell to his knees in the middle of the throngs of people. Geph was in Sector 42. How was he supposed to get home now?

Why did it teleport me here in the first place? he wondered as people complained and pushed past him.

Then he remembered.

Right before he drank the potion, he was remembering all the great memories with Nomis. One of them was searching for Light with her in Geph, all that time ago before they knew who Light was. Since he was thinking about Geph, the potion took him there.

Those moments with Nomis, however brief, were amazing. Steve couldn't live without her. He couldn't live without Jay, without anyone that had died anymore.

He had to go back to them.

Steve stood up slowly and looked up. There was a very tall building before him. If he could get to the top...

Before he knew what he was doing, his legs were pushing him to the front door of the building. Steve could barely see anything. The tears were constantly dripping from his eyes.

He shoved through the door and found the elevator. Steve slammed the button, and the doors opened. He pressed the button for the roof. The doors closed, and the elevator began to move upwards.

Angrily, he slammed the wall behind him with his fist. Jay died to save him. Nomis died to save him. What if he didn't want to be saved? Steve slammed the wall several more times in a fit of rage. He still could barely see.

Suddenly, the elevator stopped, and the doors opened. But he couldn't be at the roof yet.

He turned around, tears streaming down his face, fists against the wall, clothes dirty and torn, snot dripping from his nose, bruises all over his body.

A chubby Villager had walked into the elevator. He looked at Steve with wide eyes, but stayed in the elevator. He pressed the button for a higher floor. The doors closed, and the elevator continued to go up.

There was silence as the elevator moved. The chubby Villager kept glancing at Steve's probably horrid figure and looking away. Steve was standing still, chest heaving up and down.

Elevator music that Steve hadn't noticed before was playing. The chubby Villager shifted back and forth. Steve still did not move.

Finally, the elevator stopped, the doors opened, and the chubby Villager hastily exited. The doors closed again, and the elevator continued to rise.