Chapter 7: Not What She Seems

Nue's POV

It's been three weeks since Orochimaru and Kabuto came to visit. They didn't come back after my birthday. It kind of gave me suspicions though. I mean, I know they must have done something to make Okaa-san hate them. But how did Orochimaru know it was my birthday?

I had a lot of questions that I wanted answered. I sighed to myself. "Hey, what's the matter? You've been quiet for a long time now." Iri noticed, snapping me out of my thoughts. "Hmm? Oh, it's nothing." I said, going back to the book I was reading.

I was in Iri's room while she was behind me, brushing my hair. "Oh, come on. There's something obviously on your mind." She said.

"What makes you say that?"

"Because you've been staring at the same page for the past ten minutes."

"...So?"

"So, tell me what's on your mind?"

"Are you going to keep bugging me until I tell you?"

"If that's what it takes. There. All done!"

 Iri set the brush down and handed me a mirror so I could examine my hair. It didn't look much different, but at least it looked decent. All Iri really did was straighten it out. "Thanks." I said to her. She gave a smile and went to her shelf to get a board game.

She came back and set a chessboard down in front of me. I helped her set up the game. "Ne, Onee-chan." I asked. "Hmm?" She looked up at me. "Is Orochimaru-san... bad?" I asked.

"Why do you ask?"

"Well, when I went downstairs, I saw Okaa-san holding her sword up to his neck. Did he say something to upset her?"

"Your guess is as good as mine. But you see, Orochimaru and Mother aren't exactly friends."

Once the game was set up, we began to play. "So, then why did he decide to come visit?" I asked as I moved my chest piece. "Beats the hell out of me. But I know he came here for a reason. I just wanna know why." Iri replied, taking my pawn.

I sighed as I moved my knight. "Onee-chan, if Okaa-san and Orochimaru-san met before, what did Orochimaru-san do to make Okaa-san hate him so much?" I asked her.

Her hand stopped halfway when she was about to move her knight. She didn't say anything as she frowned at the chess board, her white bangs somewhat covering her eyes. "Onee-chan?" I asked. Iri didn't respond. She just remained quiet.

"Never mind. Forget I asked." I said. "Nue," She finally said. "Hmm?" I answered.

She looked at me and blinked her heterochromia eyes. "Tell me, what do you think of Orochimaru. Be honest." She said as she took my knight. "He seems nice. I like him." I said, giving a closed eye smile. I remember how nice Orochimaru was being when he gave me Kiyoshi.

But his chakra felt cold and dark. Except, that wasn't the thing that concerned me. What concerned me was that image I had when I hugged Orochimaru. What did it mean? I shook my head, trying to forget about it.

"Say what?! You just met the guy and you already like him?! You don't even know him!"

The tone of her voice made me jump slightly as I closed my eyes. "I know that. But I think we can be friends one day. Besides, he didn't seem so dangerous. He was actually pretty nice." I said, smiling nervously as my eyes were still closed

"That's what he wants you to think!"

"What do you mean?" I opened my eyes to look at her.

"When I was five, he came to our house to visit. I didn't trust him the moment I made eye contact with that bastard. Whenever Mother wasn't around, he would always watch me when I trained. He ticked me off so many times. Hell, he even tried getting on my good side. But it didn't work,"