Chapter 45: Nekomata's Fortress {Special}

Warning: Chapter is VERY long

"What? Seriously? We're gonna catch another cat?" Naruto complained. "Well, not quite. You're actually after Nekomata." Kakashi said. "Nekomata?" I repeated. "Yes. You're mission is not to capture him, but to get a paw print him." He explained.

"Ugh! Nekomata! Mountain lion! Cute little kitty cat! Whatever it is, this is just a D-rank mission, so no, thanks. I say, just let someone else handle small-time stuff like this," Naruto leaned back on the grass as his foot was in the air.

"Right, Sasuke? I mean, are you tired of lame missions like this one? Go on, tell him. You, too, Nue. I know you must be tired of missions like these, too." Naruto said. "Actually, I like cats, so I don't really mind." I said with a closed eye smile.

"You don't have to come along if you don't want to. This is an Uchiha... No, wait. My mission." Sasuke said to Naruto. "But why?" Naruto asked as he sat up. Naruto, Sasuke, Sakura and I went to a shop where we met an old woman named Granny Cat.

"I'm glad you've come, Sasuke boy." Granny Cat said. "It's been a long time, Granny Cat." Sasuke greeted. "My, you're all grown up." She commented, then looked at me. "I can't believe my eyes. Nue Houjuu. I'm surprised to see you wearing a cloak." She said.

"Wait a minute, you know this woman, Nue?" Sakura asked. I shook my head. "I don't think so." I said. "Don't be ridiculous. You used to come here all the time as a child. Whenever you got angry, you'd come here to see the cats or you'd go to his shop." Granny Cat said.

"His shop? Who's shop?" I asked.

"What do you mean who's shop? You know who I'm talking about."

"I really don't."

"You won't get much information out of her, Granny Cat. Nue has amnesia." Sasuke stated. "Amnesia, now? Well, that's a shame." Granny Cat said. "Hey, who told you that?" I asked Sasuke. "Lady Tsunade." He answered, making me sigh.

"What kind of place is this?" Naruto asked. "This shop is where the Uchiha Clan traditionally buys all its weapons. Granny Cat also provides intel for the Uchiha, and she's our client for this mission." Sasuke explained.

"The Uchiha Clan wasn't the only clan that traditionally bought their weapons here. The Houjuu Clan was affiliated as well." Granny Cat added. "My clan?" I asked. "Yeah. Tamaki, get the Paw Encyclopedia and bring it to me." Granny Cat ordered.

"Sure thing. Here you are, Grandma." A little girl handed her a huge book. "You bound all of them into a book?" Sasuke asked. "You know, Sasuke. You sure do seem to know a whole lot more about this mission than we do. I think you better start doing some explaining." Sakura said. 

I looked down at my foot as a cat started rubbing itself against my leg. I kneeled down and began to stroke its fur as Granny Cat began to explain how the Paw Encyclopedia started out as a game between Sasuke and his brother, Itachi.

"Don't talk about Itachi!" Sasuke snapped. I stood up and placed my hand on Sasuke's shoulder. He looked at me with a frown and I shook my head, telling him this wasn't the time or place for this right now.

"I'm gonna start preparing for the mission." Sasuke informed before leaving the shop. "So, what was that all about?" Naruto asked.

"They used to be so close back then. I remember, Itachi would often come by on errands and bring little Sasuke in tow. Sasuke would get bored, throw tantrums, and give Itachi such a hard time. So, Itachi came up with a game for him to play. He had Sasuke chase down all the quick and nimble cats he could catch, and then gather paw prints from them." Granny Cat explained.