Chapter 35: Isolation with Friends

Iri's POV

Nothing was ever the same that day for Nue. But Hokage-sama was nice enough to hold a funeral for Okaa-san, Julia, and Sharon. Nue and I waked forward and placed our flowers on their caskets.

"Rest in peace Mom... Julia... Sharon..." I said. "Thank you for everything you've done for me, Okaa-san. I.... I just wish I could've been there for you... just like how you were there for me." Nue said as she let a few tears fall.

I saw Nue's hand clench into a fist. "I promise I will get strong... for you. No matter." Nue said. "And I promise to watch over your children, Luna-sama." Maria said. "Thank you, Maria." I thanked as I hugged her.

After the funeral, Hokage-sama asked us if we could stay and talk to him. "I'm dearly sorry for your loss." Hokage-sama asked. Nue didn't say anything as she stared sadly at the ground. I could tell she was trying not to cry.

"Nue, you don't have to take the final exams if you don't want to." Hokage-sama said. "No, I'll continue to take the exams." She said, quietly. "Nue, are you sure?" I asked her. "Yes, I want to get stronger. I promised them." Nue said.

"Your mother would be very proud of you, Nue-sama." Maria said. Nue didn't say anything. "Thank you for your condolences, Hokage-sama." I said, bowing my head to him. He smiled and we left. Anko came by our house and told Nue they could postpone their training for another time since she heard about what happened to Mother.

It turns out Anko knew my mother from a long time ago and they were good friends. For the rest of the day, Nue isolated herself in her room. She wouldn't come out to eat nor would she come to talk to us. She avoided her snake and Misaki.

A while later, Squad 7 came by to see how she was doing. "Nue, your team is here to see you." I said as I knocked on her door. "Make them leave." I heard her say. "But, Nue... They came all this way just to see how you were doing." I told her.

"Just make them leave. I don't want to see them. All I want is to be alone right now." Nue said. I looked down at the ground. "Oh, Nue." I whispered before going back to Nue's team. "It doesn't look like Nue's coming out anytime soon. Try again tomorrow." I said to them.

"Tell her we're sorry and tell her we wanna talk to her when she gets the chance." Naruto said. I nodded and they left. I know how Nue feels right now. But I think she should at least talk to someone instead of isolating herself in her room.

Will I ever see her smile again?

Nue's POV

I refuse to leave this room. I can't come out knowing I'll be cold to everyone. They shouldn't have to feel my pain as well. I buried my face in my pillow, then stared emotionlessly at the wall. I closed my eyes until I heard a small tapping sound by my window.

"Who's here to bother me now?" I asked into my pillow. Knowing the tapping sound wouldn't stop, I got off my bed and went over to my window. I opened my window and looked down to see Squad 10 along with Squad 7.

"Can we talk for a second?" Shikamaru called up. I stared emotionlessly at them before putting on my cloak, jumping out the window, and landing in front of them. "What do you want?" I asked, emotionlessly.

"We just wanted to see how you were doing." Choji said. "What do you think?" I snapped. "Hey! Be nice! You should be glad they came to see you at all!" The voice in my head snapped. "Shut up! I don't want to hear it from you!" I snapped at her, telepathically.

Although, she did have a point. I sighed and looked at them. "So, you heard what happened?" I asked. "All of us did. We're sorry, Nue-chan." Naruto said. I bit my lip hard so I wouldn't cry in front of them. "Thanks for stopping by to check on me." I said with a fake smile.