Chapter 31: Preliminary Round

Naruto's POV

"What is this place?" I asked. "Look over there." Nue-chan said. "It's some kind of sign." Sakura-chan said. Nue-chan narrowed her eyes at the sign. "I think it means we're supposed to open the scrolls here." Nue-chan said.

"You sure?" Sasuke asked. "I think so." She replied. I grabbed one scroll and Sakura-chan took the other. As we opened them, smoke began to pour out of it. "It's a summoning! Quick! Throw the scrolls!" Nue-chan said, quickly.

We did what she said and threw the scrolls. "Looks like you guys made it." we heard a voice say. "Iruka-sensei!" I said, surprised. "Hey, Naruto." He greeted with a smile. "Nue, you don't look so good," Iruka-sensei noticed. "Was it that tough for you?"

"Oh, don't worry about me, Iruka-sensei. I'm perfectly fine, despite my appearance." Nue-chan said with a closed eye smile. I could tell she was lying. I know Nue-chan was still in pain. Iruka-sensei began to tell us that we passed this part of the exam and we need to move to the next stage of the exam.

"All right!" I cheered. "Be careful, dobe! You'll drop Nue!" Sasuke said. "I'm okay." Nue-chan informed. "Go, get in there. They're all waiting for you." Iruka-sensei told us. "Hai!" We chorused.

Nue's POV

When we entered through the doors, I could see all our friends, including Kabuto's team, the Bushy Eyebrow guy's team, and a Sound team. It's like no one got left behind. "Naruto, are you sure you wanna keep carrying me? I'm kind of heavy." I mentioned.

"Don't worry, Nue-chan. I don't mind. Believe it." He said, smiling. "But I don't wanna become burden to you." I told him. "You're not burden, Nue-chan. You're as light as a feather." Naruto replied. "There's no way I'm that light, you silly blonde." I said as I ruffled his head.

I turned my head and noticed Gaara's team. They don't have a scratch on them! How is that even possible?! I turn the other way, noticing Iri next to Kakashi. I narrowed my eyes at her. She did help us out, but why do I feel like I still can't trust her?

I could still hear Orochimaru voice, telling me how Iri or Okaa-san didn't love me. But what about Maria? Can I still trust her? What if what Orochimaru said was true? What if she really was sent to me just to kill me? 

I looked towards the front and spotted Maria, standing next to Anko. I gasped when I saw Misaki on her shoulders while Kiyoshi was sitting on top of her head, all coiled up. How did they even make it out of the forest?

"All right. Since there's so many of you, we're going to have a preliminary round." A Chunin Exams proctor said. Preliminary Round? What the hell is that?

"Each of you will come up one by one and fight each other. The match will be over if the opponent is unable to continue or if he or she quits. If anyone wishes to leave now, this is the time." He explained.

I blinked in surprise when I saw Kabuto raise his hand. "Kabuto? But why?" I asked. "I'm just pretty worn out of it, that's all. I don't think I can continue. But good luck to you and your team, Nue." Kabuto said. "Thank you, Kabuto." I replied.

I guess I was wrong about him. Maybe I can trust him. I mean, he did help my team and I get this far. I felt pretty bad that he was all worn out. I feel like I'm the one to blame for him giving up. I watched Kabuto walk away and exit through the doors.

"Nue, I think you should quit, too." Sasuke said. "Excuse me?" I asked. "I said, I think you should quit." He repeated. "Why? I've made it this far. There's no way I can give up now." I told him. "Nue, you have cracked ribs, a broken ankle, and a mild concussion." He pointed out.