Chapter 18: Long Time No See

Nue's POV

I ran as fast as I could, away from Tazuna's house. I was panting hard. "Nue, sssslow down," Kiyoshi said. I tripped over my feet and fell on my hands and knees. I began to pant until I got back up and started running again.

"You're going to overdo it, child." Kiyoshi hissed. I ignored him and kept running. I fell again, but this time, over something. I look back to see that Kiyoshi had tripped me with his tail. "What are you running ssso fassst for?" Kiyoshi asked.

I sat on my knees as I placed my hands in the dirt and stared at the ground. "Nue, talk to me. What happened back at Tazuna'ssss ?" Kiyoshi asked. I pressed my hands to my face so he wouldn't see my tears.

"Sakura said some hurtful things back at the house." I said, quietly. Kiyoshi slithered in front of me. "What did she ssssay?" He asked. "She said Maria left me on purpose because she thinks I'm freak. She says I'm creepy." I said as I wiped my eyes.

"Don't listen to her, Nue. SSSShe's probably jealoussss of you." Kiyoshi said. "Why would she be jealous of me? I don't think I did anything wrong." I said.

"Well, you almossssst broke her arm."

"Yeah, I did do that."

"And you punched her in the jaw."

"Yeah, I know."

"And you alsssso threatened to kill her if sssshe insulted Maria again."

"Okay, okay. I see your point, Kiyoshi. No need to make me feel any worse."

Kiyoshi sighed. "But Sakura is right on one thing," I said. "And what'ssss that, Nue?" Kiyoshi said. "I am a freak. A monster." I said. "I don't think you're a freak at all. You know what I ssssee when I look at you, Nue." Kiyoshi hissed.

"What?" I asked, staring down at him. "I ssssee a beautiful, sweet, rather clumsy, strong, talented young girl who'sssss jussssst missssundersssstood." He said. I smiled and petted his head. "Thanks, Kiyoshi. You're a good friend." I said.

He smiled at me and slithered up my arm. "Don't let other people get you down, Nue. You're a sssstrong ninja who isss full of potential." He hissed. "How is it that you're able to make me smile in just five minutes?" I asked, amused.

"Becausssse I'm jussst that amazing." He said, cockily. I let out a small giggle. "Yes, you are, Kiyoshi. You're the best." I said. It's good to have a friend by your side. I don't even think the team is worried about my departure.

To be honest, I think they're glad I'm gone. I don't even think they know I'm missing. I sighed and lied down on my back as Kiyoshi slithered on top of my stomach. "Don't worry, Nue. I know thingssss will get better for you. I'm ssssure of it." Kiyoshi hissed.

I smiled as I stared at the sky. "I hope so." I said before falling asleep, taking a short nap.

Naruto's POV

Nue-chan has been in her room all night. She hasn't come down at all. I'm worried about her. I went to her room and decided to go check on her. "Nue-chan?" I knocked on her door. No answer. "Nue-chan, are you okay? You've been in there all night." I called.

She didn't reply. I knocked on her door again and this time, the door creaked open a bit. "Nue-chan?" I said as I opened the door a bit wider. I looked around and saw the window wide open. On the desk, there was a note. I picked it up and began to read:

Dear Naruto or Kakashi-sensei,

I'm sorry to leave without telling you. I just don't think I'm cut out to be your teammate. Don't bother looking for me. I'll be fine, I promise. Please complete the mission without me and tell Lord Hokage that I'm sorry.