Chapter 30: Battling The Rain Ninja

Kabuto's POV

Nue fell asleep on my back after a few minutes. No surprise there considering she ate a light lunch. I've studied a lot about Nues. It never occurred to me they'd still exist. I found it surprising that Nue was the last one.

"Stop walking." Nue said, sleepily. She lifted her head and looked over my shoulder. "What is it?" I asked, confused. "There's a trip wire 8 inches in front of you." She said as she pointed ahead. My gaze followed her pointed finger and noticed the trip wire she was talking about.

"Good eye." I praised. We walked forward, stepping over a trip wire. But what we failed to see was a second trip wire. My foot accidentally tripped on it and a bunch of kunai knives came darting towards us from all different directions.

"Look out!" I yelled. Everyone tried to duck their heads, but they knew it wouldn't work. I shut my eyes and waited for the weapons to hit us. When I didn't feel anything, I opened my eyes. I gasped in shock as I saw a clear, purple force field around us.

The knives bounced off the force field and fell to the ground. I looked behind my shoulder and saw Nue with her arm raised towards the sky. When she dropped her arm, the force field disappeared. How did she do that?

I snapped out of my thoughts when I noticed her breathing was off. "Are you okay?" I asked. "Yes, I'm fine. Let's keep moving." She replied. I nodded in agreement and we continued to walk towards the tower.

Nue's POV

Yeah, right, I'm fine. Why do I have to lie to people just to take care of myself? I guess it's because I don't want to burden any of them. Turns out, when I created the force field, I took up a lot of my chakra than I intended.

How did I learn to do that? I don't even know. I winced a bit as my head began to pound. I hope we get to the tower soon so I can stop this freaking headache. After a while, I felt like we weren't making any progress. It was like the more we walked, the further away the tower was.

"For crying out loud! How much further is it?" Sakura asked, exhausted, as she fell to her knees. "Hey, guys. Is it me or is the tower moving farther away every time we get close to it?" I asked. I blinked when it hit me.

"Son of a bitch." I muttered before I face palmed. "So, you figured it out, too?" Kabuto said. "Yep, we're being followed. We were so focused on getting to the tower, we didn't know we got caught in a genjutsu." I said to him.

"Nue, do you think you can pinpoint the enemy's location?" Sasuke asked. "I'll try." I responded. I closed my eyes and concentrated on the enemy's location. I opened my eyes. "That doesn't make any sense." I mumbled.

"They're... everywhere." I said to Sasuke. Suddenly, rain ninja began to emerge from the ground and the trees as they started repeating the sentence, "Give us your scroll."

"Oh. man. Now what?" Sakura said. 'We have no choice but to fight' I thought. But how can I fight? I can't even walk. Oh, screw it. "Kabuto, put me down." I said. "If you're thinking about fighting these guys, then think again. You can't walk and you might worsen your injuries." Kabuto said.

"Just do it." I said in a serious tone. "No way, Nue. You're hurt." He said. I glared at him. "I'm not joking around, Kabuto. Just put me down." I argued. "No. I'm not going to let you fight." Kabuto said. I was two seconds away from biting his ear off.

The rain ninja began to attack us. Kabuto was having a hard time fighting them since he still had me on his back. I grunted and gripped his shoulders when I felt something sharp pierce my back. No doubt, it was a kunai knife. "Kabuto..." I said, enduring the pain in my back.