Chapter 43: Back To The Past

I followed Tsunade and Shizune to the hospital and we went down the stairs to a room that glowed green. "I have a bad feeling about this, Nue." Iri said as she tagged along with us. There was a weird diagram in the middle of the room.

"Just sit over there in the center." Shizune instructed. I gave a nod and went into the center before sitting down. "All right. Now, just lie down on your back and relax." Tsunade commanded. I did as she said and lied down on my back, gazing up at the ceiling.

Tsunade sat on her knees and rested my head on her lap. "How do we know this jutsu won't kill her?" Iri asked. "It shouldn't. It's just a back to the past jutsu." Tsunade explained. I took a small breath as I looked up at Tsunade. 

"Are you ready, Nue?" She asked me. I gave a small nod and closed my eyes. "All right, here we go," Tsunade placed her hands on the temples of my head. "Ninja Art: Memory Recall Jutsu." Her hands began to glow green and I felt my eyelids getting heavy.

"Good luck, Nue." That was the last thing I heard from Tsunade before I blacked out.

(*Inside Nue's Head*)

I opened my eyes and saw trees around me. I sat up and looked around, realizing I was in the woods. "Tsunade?" I asked, standing to my feet. "Shizune? Iri?" I called. There was no answer. "Where am I?" I asked. I hugged myself as I began to walk down the dirt path in front of me.

It started to rain as I walked further down the path, but I didn't get wet. Well, it is just a memory. "Leave me alone!" I turned around to see a little girl with wings and tails running the opposite direction. But she wasn't alone. Someone is chasing her. I narrowed my eyes and followed them.

The little girl stopped to catch her breath as her hands were on her knees. I got a closer look at the girl. She had long black hair and red eyes as her wings and tails wrapped around her tiny body. She looked about four years old. I realized the little girl was me.

"Why fight the inevitable, Nue?" The girl panted some more before turning around. She frowned. "You bastard! You won't get away with this!" She screamed at the unknown person. The stranger chuckled before stepping out of the shadows, revealing himself.

It was Orochimaru. What's he doing here? "You're so naïve, Nue. I already have gotten away with it. You have nothing left. But I'm amazed you still have the energy to fight." Orochimaru said. My younger self eyes glowed purple as she frowned at him.

"I'm curious to know how you're this strong. I want to know. I want you... Nue." He said, smirking. "Keep dreaming, asshole! You'll never have me!" My younger self snapped. She turned around and made a run for it.

"It doesn't matter where you run, Nue! I will have you!" Orochimaru called before laughing. "I will remember you. I won't forget what you've done. I will kill you, Orochimaru. I swear it." My younger self said as she ran.

She continued to run until her foot gave away and began to roll down a hill. As she was tumbling, the back of her head hit a rock, making he cry out in pain, then black out. She kept rolling until she splashed into a puddle.

My younger self didn't move, but she was still breathing. After a minute or two passed, she started to regain consciousness. "Huh? Where... am I?" She asked in an innocent voice. Her face changed from curiosity to fear. "Hello? Can anyone help me?" She called out.

She began to whimper as she got up from the ground and began to walk forward. "That explains how I got amnesia." I said out loud. But what about the Akatsuki? They were there the night the clan was murdered.

If it wasn't them, then why were they there? Time began to go backwards and everything started to change. When it stopped, I found myself standing in front of a clan. I looked up at the symbol hanging from above.

It was a weird red yin yang-like symbol that matched the symbol on the back of my cloak. Wait, is this... my clan symbol? "Nue! Zabuza's back!" A woman said. I wasn't able to see her face. For some reason, it was all blurry. 

How did she know me? Is she my mother? My aunt? Someone I knew? The woman walked into the woods, pushing past some bushes. I followed her. She kept walking until an angry cry was heard. The woman ran towards the sound until she gasped at what she saw.

"Nue..?" The woman said in disbelief. I saw my younger self with her hands covered in blood. There was something in front of her. I took step closer, then gasped as what I saw. It was a wolf cut to bits. All its guts and intestines splattered everywhere.

I put my hands over my mouth to keep myself from throwing up as I fell to my knees. "Nue, are you okay?" The woman asked. "I'm fine. The damn thing just attacked me is all." My younger self said in a cold tone. She faced the woman as her eyes glowed purple. 

"It should've thought twice before trying to kill me." She said before looking at her wrist. I noticed a small bite mark on her left wrist. She frowned at the mark before licking some of the blood off her hands. "No... No!" I shouted.

I grabbed both sides of my head as I threw my head back, screaming. This isn't me! This can't be me! It can't!

Tsunade's POV

Nue stayed relax for a while. She was calm even. "Do you think she's okay?" Iri asked. "I'm not sure." I answered. "It's been ten minutes. What do you think she's learned?" Shizune asked. "I don't know." I said. I'm curious to where in the past she's in right now.

I blinked my eyes when Nue began to whimper. I raised a brow in confusion as tears began to slip from her eyes. "What's wrong with her?" Iri asked, panicked. "I don't know. I think she's remembering a bad part of her memory." I said.

"Hurry! Stop the jutsu!" She said. "You want me to break the connection?! Are you crazy?! I can't do that! It could mess up her head!" I said. Nue began to thrash around, making it hard for me to maintain the connection from her and her past.

"Hold her down!" I ordered Shizune and a few medics. They did as I said and restrained Nue. "Nue, calm down! It's just a memory!" I said to the thrashing girl. I don't think she could hear me. Nue whimpered louder as her thrashing became more violent.

Nue must've been really strong because Shizune and the medics were having a hard time restraining her. "Lady Tsunade, you must break the connection! At this point, we won't be able to hold her much longer!" Shizune said.

I gritted my teeth as it was getting harder and harder for me to maintain the connection. The more Nue struggled, the harder it was for me to keep her in check. "Damn it!" I said, and broke the connection. Nue eyes shot open as she quickly sat up from my lap, panting heavily.

"Nue, are you alright?" I asked her. She didn't answer as she continued to pant. "Nue?" I repeated. "I think... I need to be alone for a while. Thank you for your help, Lady Tsunade." Nue said. She stood to her feet and quickly bowed her head to me before leaving the room.

"What do you think she saw?" Iri asked. "I'm not sure. But whatever it was, it couldn't have been good." I said. What did she saw that got her so shaken up?

Nue's POV

I walked down the street as I made my way to the Hyuga Clan. I knocked on the door and was greeted by Hinata. "Hi, Nue. Is everything okay?" She asked. "I... um... No, not really." I said in a quiet voice.

"Would you like to come in?" 

"Yes... Please."

Hinata walked me inside the house and showed me to the backyard. I sat on the deck and leaned against a wooden pillar. "I'll be back with some tea. Excuse me," Hinata left, leaving me alone. After she left, I took off my cloak, letting my wings and tails out.

I stared at the scenery in front of me, then remembered there was a mark on my wrist from when the wolf bit me. I took off the black wristband I was wearing and examined my wrist. There was a mark there, but it was faded; not completely healed.

I gently traced my finger along the mark. "What am I?" I whispered. Who am I?

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Nue has gotten most of her memories back. How long will Nue have to hide under her cloak? Will she ever learn the truth of what really happened to her clan? That's all there is to this chapter, my friends. See ya later!!

Kureiji out~