CHAPTER 8

Richard did not leave the camp even as the young woman entered the tent to rest after some alone time by the fire. There's as if a strong force that is pulling him towards her that made it very difficult for him to leave her presence.

He stood outside her tent the whole night like a sentinel guarding his queen's castle.

Richard was gazing out through the vicinity of the clearing while standing guard near the entrance to the tent when he suddenly heard her awaken in the early hours of the new day. He sensed her fear and confusion as he listen to the erratic beating of her heart. Richard closed his eyes feeling her emotions wash over him.

"Nanaginip sya..." He thought as he try to sort through the myriad of emotions he picked up from her. He opened his eyes when he heard the rustling of the tent's zipper being carefully opened.

He saw her step out of the tent a bit disoriented and glanced around the dark and quiet clearing. He followed her as she walked aimlessly around just savoring the feel of the crisp morning air on her body until she reached a big rock. She listlessly sat there and continued to regard the surroundings.

Richard was just gazing at her, observing her every movement. But with every second he spent watching her, the feeling of wanting to make his presence known to her becomes a lot stronger.

Until he couldn't take it anymore...

The ball of light circled around her to catch her attention. It floated back and forth enticing her to follow it into the forest. It led her to a smaller clearing surrounded by tall trees and flowers. It floated around her again before it disappeared among the trees.

Richard slowly stood up from behind a tree a few meters away from her. He saw her walk towards the water and sat along its bank. He can sense the melancholy from every fiber of her being as she stare at her own reflection in the water.

"Magpakita ka naman sa akin, please. I want to see you again..." He heard her soft whisper through the wind. Richard can feel the deep longing behind her quiet plea.

Richard closed his eyes basking in the warmth and joy that enveloped his heart at the realization that she was thinking about him.

He is not sure though how he is still able to process these emotions at his present state but he can't deny the fact that he liked what he is feeling. For the first time since he got recruited for the guardians he came to miss being able to feel regular human emotions again.

Richard slowly stepped out of the shadow of the huge old tree in front of him, fully determined to take this opportunity to be with her again.

Richard saw and felt the exact moment that Dei became aware of his presence and glanced his way. He heard her sharp intake of breath.

They both remained motionless for some moments. Both still processing the fact that they are just a few meters away from each other.

Dei was the first to recover from the shock. She slowly stood up from where she was slumped on the bank of the stream and faced him.

Richard slowly strode towards where she is standing. He can clearly hear Dei's heart beating faster as he came nearer.

Richard stopped a foot away from her, both intently gazing at each other's eyes. Dei broke the silence.

"Nananaginip lang ba ako? Nandito ka ba talaga sa harap ko o imagination lang kita?" Dei asked. Disbelief written all over her lovely face.

Richard couldn't help but smile at her questions. He continued to regard her intently, as if committing to memory every aspect of her features. He just can't get enough of her presence. There is just something about her...

"Hindi ko alam kung tama ba na nagpakita ako sa iyo ngayon. Ang alam ko lang, hindi ko kayang basta balewalain ang tawag mo. Nandito ako dahil sa'yo...Dei." He said still gazing at her face. Dei  looked completely bewildered.

"Bakit alam mo ang pangalan ko? Nagkita na ba tayo dati? Hindi ko maintindihan. Sino ka ba?" Dei questioned him with a slight tremor in her voice.

What Richard wouldn't do to ease her concerns. He wanted to explain to her everything but he knew he already overstepped his boundaries just by being here with her.

"Mahirap ipaliwanag sa ngayon, Dei." Was all Richard can tell her now while still regarding her intently. He moved another step closer to her. Their breaths on each other's cheeks as they continued to regard each other closely.

Richard has never encountered anyone in his life who is able to make him feel this way. He was both happy and scared of how intense the emotions coursing through him just by being this close to her. And the way she is returning his gaze is somehow intensifying the feeling tenfold.

His right hand instinctively moved up towards her upturned face.

Richard has been fighting this yearning to touch her skin ever since he first met her at the ledge. He now grudgingly acknowledge that his will is not strong enough to repel the attraction that is pulling him towards this young woman.

He tentatively brushed her right cheek with his knuckles, marveling at how good the feel of her smooth olive skin is on his fingers. He heard again her sharp intake of breath as she looked at him in wide-eyed wonder.

He can't help but smile again at her upturned face. A face devoid of any make up that women are so fond of using to enhance their aesthetic features nowadays. Not that she needed them. She is beautiful as she is in his eyes. His thumb moved to trace the side of her lips, completely mesmerized.

"Can you at least let me know your name?" She softly asked him as she look straight into his eyes. Even icebergs would melt in the warmth of her chocolate brown eyes.

Other women would have cowered in fear at being this physically close to a complete stranger. But not her. There is not a trace of fear evident in her. He could only see utter curiosity in her doe eyes.

He let out a long suffering sigh before answering.

"It's Richard. My name is Richard..."