CHAPTER 80

RJ can clearly see the play of emotions on Dei's very expressive brown eyes. He suddenly felt guilty for telling her.

"Dei, I'm sorry if my story made you feel bad. I just thought that in order for us to understand these things that are happening between us, we need to be completely honest to each other." He told her as they locked gazes. She nodded solemnly.

"RJ, I'm sorry... I understand where you are coming from. I'm from a broken family. I know how it feels to lose a loved one. Though I could only imagine the pain of losing someone because of death...I'm sorry..." She was looking so forlorn and remorseful that he had to hold her hand reassuringly.

"Shhh...it's okay. I think I needed that. I should be thanking you. I've been carrying that burden for years now. I couldn't sleep properly at night coz I 'm plagued by nightmares from that night. But since I met you, nabawasan na ang mga bangunot ko. You made feel things I never intend to feel for anyone again. I'm both happy and scared which is a dangerous combination." He admitted to her. She grimaced.

"RJ, alam mo ba kung gaano nakakapressure ang mga sinasabi mo? Lahat ng mga mangyayari sa atin ngayon hindi ko pa nga mahanapan ng logical explanation. Pero di ko rin macontrol yung weird pull towards you. Ang lagi lang pumapasok sa isip kong explanation ay nakatadhana siguro talaga tayong magtagpo sa bundok na ito...pero hindi ka na naman naniniwala dun..." She looked really confused. He wanted to assure her but he is now too pragmatic and burned to believe in that word again. Then he noticed the time.

"Malalim na pala ang gabi, Dei. Mabuti pa ay bukas na natin pag-usapan uli ang mga bagay na ito. Samahan na kita sa may sapa para makapaglinis ka ng sarili mo bago matulog. I'm sure mapagod ka sa trek kanina. Ako na bahala sa mga gamit natin. Mauna ka ng pumasok sa tent later...Susunod ako." He assured her when he noticed her hesitation. She nodded lightly.

They went to the stream to freshen up. RJ politely turned away while they did their own thing and then later led her back to the tent. Dei bid him good night and quietly entered the tent. He went back beside the fire to check it and put away the utensils they used and their leftovers.

RJ busied himself checking to make sure everything is okay and secured around the campground before he himself turned towards the tent. He took his time. He was hoping she would already be asleep by the time he is ready to call it a night.

He exhaled deeply when he opened the tent's flap and saw her already indeed asleep. He swallowed the pinch of disappointment he felt.

"Umayos ka, RJ. Kanina pinagdadasal mo na tulog na sana pagpasok mo tapos ngayon disappointed ka na tinulugan ka nga! Ang gulo mo!" He chastised himself inwardly as he gingerly lowered himself beside her. He made sure that there is a safe distance between them. He had just shut his eyes when he felt her move and something fell on his chest. He immediately opened his eyes and turned towards the woman beside him. He was surprised to find that his face was just a few inches away from hers and the thing that fell on his chest was her hand! He propped his head on his hand to peer at her. He held his breath as he stared at her for a minute checking if she was awake. But he can see her even breathing, a clear indicator that she is indeed fast asleep. He can feel the fast beating of his heart and his body's reaction as he continued to stare at her.

"Whooh! Paano ba kumalma kapag kasama kita, Dei? Lord, bigyan mo po ako ng lakas para labanan ang tukso...Stay strong,RJ!" He silently prayed as he carefully remove her hand from his chest and placed it carefully on the rolled up blanket between them. He can't help but smile though when she suddenly pouted in her sleep.

He then lie back on his sleeping bag after a few minutes of just staring at her face. He said a prayer before oblivion finally consumed him.

He was surprised to find himself standing inside Dei's bedroom. He knew he is there because he recognized the room's color scheme and the decors are similar to what he saw inside her condo unit. He wondered why is he there.

Then he heard a door suddenly open and he turned towards the sound. He saw Dei come out of what looked like the bathroom wearing a light yellow robe as she rub her hair dry with a towel. He watched her walk towards the vanity table, sat down at the chair and looked at herself in the mirror. He saw her pick up the hairbrush from the vanity but paused as she lifted it half way to comb her hair. His breath caught on his throat when she suddenly turned towards his direction.

Dei stared for a few seconds at where he was standing rendering him immobile. He was getting ready to run towards her to appease her should she suddenly go hysterical finding him inside her room but then her gaze moved around the room as if looking for something. She did not acknowledge his presence!

"Malabo ba mata nito at hindi ako nakitang nakatayo sa harap nya?! Itong laki kong ito!" He thought, puzzled with her lack of reaction. He continue to watch her scan the entire room looking puzzled herself. After a few more moments she turned back to the mirror and combed her hair as she sighed. He just observed her silently.

After combing her hair dry. Dei walked towards the bed, removed her robe and slipped between the sheets. She once again looked around the room before closing her eyes. RJ waited a few more minutes before he walked over to the bed and leaned down closer to her.

"Richard..." He heard her murmur his name. His heart skipped a beat.

"Dei, I'm here..." He whispered back near her ear. Her eyes remained closed.

He straightened up and happened to glance at the vanity mirror across her bed. He gasped.

He was standing directly in front of the mirror but he cannot see his reflection on it!

RJ woke up with a start. With a wildly beating heart, he sat up and looked beside him. Dei is still sleeping soundly on her sleeping bag. He rubbed him chest to try to control the rapid beating of his heart.

"It was just a dream...pero parang totoo!" He thought.

He decided to step out of the tent to get some fresh air and a bottle of water. The dream really bothered him. What does it mean?

He was still thinking of the dream when he heard a noise coming from the shadows of the trees behind him. He immediately grabbed a tree branch from the pile of twigs for the fire and turned towards the sound.

"Sino yan? Wag kang magtago sa dilim!" He said firmly as he ready himself for a possible attack.

"Richard, alam mong wala akong intensyong masama sa inyo. Nandito ako para paalalahanan ka..." a male voice said before he saw a silhouette of a tall man appear from behind a tree.

"Sino ka at bakit alam mo ang pangalan ko?!" RJ demanded. He was doubly confused because instead of feeling fear, he actually felt calm in the presence of the stranger. But he kept a firm grip on the branch just in case.

"Alam ng puso mo kung sino ako. Nandito ako upang paalalahanan kang gamitin ang iyong puso. Bumalik ka para sa kanya. Wag mong sayangin ang panahon sa takot at pangamba. Hayaan mong puso ang magturo sa'yo sa tamang daan. Ito na ang inyong tamang panahon..." The man cryptically said. It is with this that the man moved closer to where he is, stepping away from the shadow of the trees. The man's features became highlighted by the light coming from the fire.

"P-parang kilala kita?! Pero di kita maintindihan. Anong ibig mong sabihin?" RJ asked in confusion but the man stepped back into the shadows again and disappeared.