CHAPTER 67

"Dei!!! Bilisan mo namang kumilos! Gusto ko nang rumampa sa beach!" Val shouted at her while almost running towards the lobby of the hotel where they will be staying for the weekend. Dei just shook her head and smiled at her overly excited bestfriend.

"Eto na po, mam! Ako na bahala magcheck in para sa atin, mag-explore ka na. Itetext ko na lang syo ang room number natin." She shouted back at her friend and walked towards the direction of the front desk. Val just raised her hand in a backward wave and just continued to brisk walk towards the direction of the sea. Dei just laughed at her friend's gesture and turned to the woman on the counter to confirm their reservation and get their room key card.

The front desk clerk was discussing with her the details of their reservation when her attention was caught by a commotion coming from the direction of one of the function halls of the hotel. A dignified looking man is being escorted by a bunch of security personnel out of the hall. He was surrounded by media people who are so  eager to ask him questions and take his pictures. She can't see his face with all the people blocking her view but something about him seemed familiar that she turned towards that direction and followed him with her eyes.

"Artista ba yun o politiko? Parang pamilyar sya pero di ko naman nakita mukha so baka feeling ko lang." She thought before dismissing the incident from her mind and thanked the front desk officer before slinging her overnight bag to her shoulder and headed towards the elevator at the far side of the hall. She passed by the room where the man came from and saw that there is a conference going on. She went on to the elevator at the far end and pressed the floor number where their room is located.

"Mukhang maraming nakacheck in ngayon dito because of the convention. Ilagay ko na lang muna mga gamit sa room then sunod na ko kay Val. Baka mamaya marami ng tao sa beach after ng conference sulitin ko na dapat ngayon." She thought as she hurriedly stepped inside the elevator and went straight up to the third floor.

She put down her bag on one of the beds, took out her swim wear and a short dress as cover up then went to the bathroom to change. After that she took a towel, a book, her phone, wallet and key card and put them in a small tote bag before heading out of the room again.

When she got to the beach area she scanned the place looking for Val but she can't find her among the few people milling about enjoying the sun and mild breeze coming from the ocean.

Dei sighed contentedly and smiled as she gaze out to the ocean in front of her. The beach is really her go to place when she feels down or stressed out from her work or just bored. The sound of the waves gives her a sense of calmness she can't find anywhere else. Well except during those moments in the mountain when she is with...

"No! Dei stop thinking about him! Kaya nga kayo ngbeach ni Val para magrelax hindi para mastress na naman kakaisip sa sinabi nya! Kalimutan mo na ang feelings mo for RJ! You don't deserve to feel like shit just because he thinks what you told him is crazy. Yes, it sounded crazy but still wala syang karapatang saktan ang feelings mo kasi ni di kayo magkaano ano. Remember that!" She reprimanded herself.

She was lounging by the recliners under a coconut tree reading a book when Val suddenly appeared out of nowhere and sat by her feet.

"Hulaan mo kung sino ang nasalubong ko sa lobby ng hotel na aattend sana ng conference pero late nakarating?" Val asked which made her heart rate double. She immediately turned behind her.

"Hello, Dei..."

"Uno..." She greeted him in a neutral voice, suddenly feeling irritated with herself for hoping.

"Wow, ang warm naman ng greeting mo sa akin. Medyo naburn ako dun, ah. Nagtatampo ka pa rin ba sa akin? Sorry na po, baby girl." Uno said while holding out to her a bouquet of yellow tulips.

Dei turned her attention to Val and raised her eyebrows in silent question. Val gave her a peace sign.

"Bes, its not what you think. Nagkataon lang na nabanggit sa akin ni Uno nung magkachat kami kagabi na aattend sya ng conference dito sa Zambales kaya bigla ko naisip isuggest sa iyo na magbeach tayo. Para din maayos na ang tampuhan nyo and makamove on ka na..." Dei immediately covered Val's mouth to prevent her from finishing her statement.

"Makamove on saan? May problem ka ba, Dei? Maybe I can help." Uno immediately offered. He sat on the other recliner beside her and looked at her expectantly. She gave Val a withering look, removed her hand from her friend's mouth before turning to him.

"I'm fine, Uno. Exaggerated lang si Val." She said feeling uncomfortable lying to him.

"Okay, well since late na ko for the conference maybe I can just keep you girls company for the rest of my stay here. I'm also booked in this hotel until tomorrow. That is if its okay with you?" He asked them both but his eyes were on her. She smiled awkwardly.

"Uno you don't have to keep us company. I know you are a very busy man at di ka rin basta aattend ng conference kung hindi importante ang reason so I suggest you go attend the conference kahit late ka na. Anyway, Val and I have no fixed plans for this get away so you can join us anytime. Nandito kami until Sunday so marami pang time for us to hang out after the conference." She told him sincerely. She knew how important work is for him.

"It's okay, Dei. I was supposed to attend because I wanted to personally meet the keynote speaker but since I arrived late hindi ko sya inabutan so okay lang. I can meet him some other time." He said dismissively. This made her remember the man she saw earlier. He must be the keynote speaker Uno was referring to. She became curious again so she asked:

"Sino ba yung speaker na talagang bumiyahe ka pa para lang makilala? He seemed like a very important man." She asked him as she gathered her book again from beside her.

"Well Engr. Teodoro Mendoza is a well known civil engineer in Italy who came back to the Philippines for good and he is looking for possible investments here...." Uno stopped talking when he heard something drop. He saw Dei staring at him with a shocked expression on her face. The book she was reading a while ago now lying on the sand, completely forgotten. The same expression was painted on Valerie's face when he turned to her.

"Why?! You girls heard of him before? Well no wonder there because he is such a big name in the engineering and business world..." Uno continued to narrate when Dei suddenly stood up from the recliner and purposefully run towards the hotel entrance leaving a very surprised Uno and a very worried Val behind.

"Dei! Saan ka pupunta? May nasabi na naman ba akong masama?!" Uno asked Val who by this time is already gathering Dei's things so she can follow her friend. Val sighed frustratedly before looking straight at him.

"Uno, Engr. Teodoro Mendoza is Dei's father who left them when she was still young." Was all Val has to say before she took off to catch up with Dei.

Uno was left there by the beach, dumbfounded.