CHAPTER 33

"Saan kita pwedeng idrop off?!"

Dei was gazing out the car's window engrossed in her own thoughts when she realized that he asked her a question. They are at an intersection a few blocks away from the events place at the moment waiting for the light to turn green again.

"What? I'm sorry..." She asked distractedly.

The man expelled a long suffering sigh which triggered her irritation again.

"I said I'm sorry na nga, di ba? Di ko naman ginusto 'yung mga nangyari! You don't have to make me feel guiltier about it..." She acidly retorted.

"Whoa! Wait lang! Make you guiltier?! Ano na naman ang ginawa ko? Tinanong lang kita kung saan kita ibababa ikaw itong wala sa sarili mo. And please stop saying you're sorry!" The man answered giving her a short irritated glance before focusing his attention back on the road.

Dei felt stupid after her outburst. He just helped her out tonight albeit reluctantly. The least she could do is be grateful instead of embarrassing herself further.

She was blessedly saved from making a bigger fool of herself when her phone rang. She checked and found that it was Valerie calling.

"Helllo, Val?!" She answered immediately.

"Dei! Nasaan kaaa??! May nakakita daw syo na umalis na may kasamang lalaki. Nakidnap ka ba, bes? Pinuwersa ka ba? Yun bang si Mr. GQ na lasing? Wait! Naka-on ba GPS ng phone mo? Itetrace kita para makatawag na ako ng pulis! Bes sumagot ka!" Valerie asked hysterically in rapid succession that Dei put a little distance between her ear and the phone.

"Val! Kalma. Sorry di na kita nahintay. Something came up. C-can you pick me up somewhere?" She is discreetly glancing at Richard from her peripheral vision.

"Ano ba talaga ang nangyari? Nasaan ka ngayon? Sino kasama mo?" Valerie persisted.

"Ahm, Si ano...Basta! Mamaya na tayo mag-usap. Sunduin mo na lang ako sa Starbucks a few blocks from there along the main road dun na lang kita hintayin...sige na bye." Then she immediately hang up the phone.

"You should have told your f-friend that you are going home na. Pwede naman kitang ihatid diretso para sure na safe ka makauwi..." He softly said. Dei felt the fluttering of butterflies on her stomach at his words but she kept her cool.

"Masyado na kitang naistorbo tonight. You can just drop me off dyan sa may Starbucks sa kabilang kanto then Val can just pick me up from there para makauwi ka na or makabalik ka pa sa party. Thank you for helping me kahit di mo naman ako talaga kilala.." She timidly answered. She suddenly felt depressed again upon realizing that he does not really remember who she is.

"Itetext ko na lang sina Joyce to tell then that I will not be able to go back. I'm not exactly fond of parties anyway. I prefer peace and quiet. And well next time if you are going to a party wearing something like that you should make sure you have your boyfriend with you close by..." He lectured as he turn towards the parking lot of the coffee shop.

"Well, FYI. I don't usually go to parties either except when I need to. I usually just prefer to stay at home or at my studio working instead of partying. This is also not my usual get up. Excuse me lang noh!" She retorted defensively.

"Ano ba namang kamalasan 'to! Stalker na nga ang first impression nya sa akin mas lumala pa yata ngayon! Feeling yata nitong lalaking ito malandi ako kaya nababastos ng mga lalaki. Grabe sya, ah!" She thought. She turned towards him and glared morosely.

"Hey! Calm down. I'm not judging you. All I'm saying is that you should be more careful." He raised his hand as if to fend off a possible attack from her. She turned away from him when they stopped at a parking slot outside the coffee shop.

Awkward silence ensued between the two inside the car. Dei was the first to break it when she held on to the door handle to open it as she told him:

"S-Sa loob ko na lang hihintayin si Val para makauwi ka na. Pasensya ka na talaga kasi pati ikaw naistorbo pero sobrang thank you sa help mo. I really appreciate it..."

"Richard. I'm Richard Faulkerson, Jr. but friends call me RJ."

"I'm Dei. Dei Mendoza." She answered as she offered  him a handshake. The moment their hands touched, the electricity that she felt when he wrapped his arm around her earlier unexpectedly coursed through her again that she immediately pulled her hand back. She avoided his gaze, feeling awkward again.

"A-are you sure you gonna be alright on your own here? I can wait with you hanggang dumating yung sundo mo..." He offered casually. She felt the blush creeping up on her cheeks again so she immediately pushed open the car door and stepped out so he would not notice.

"I-i will be fine. Padating na si Val. Para di ka na rin gabihin. Thanks again..." She answered as she leaned in on the hood of the car to peer at him inside. She thought she saw disappointment in his eyes when she glanced at his face but she could have been mistaken because it was relatively dark on that side of the parking lot and it was gone when she looked at him again.

"Okay, baka nga magalit pa sya lalo...You better go inside now. It's safer there. Para doon mo na lang hintayin yung boyfriend mo. I'll go ahead. Ingat na lang." And with that he revved his car's engine. Dei immediately stepped back from the car,  completely surprised at his sudden change of mood.

"Teka lang! Wala akong..." She started to explain but her words were drowned out by the angry sounds of the engine as he maneuvered out of the parking lot and drove off.

"Halah! Wala kaya akong boyfriend..."