Chapter 18

"Malapit na ang pagtatalaga mo sa organisasyon, Richard. Buo na ba sa loob mo na maging ganap na tagabantay?" Jerald asked him as they stand side by side overlooking the city on the rooftop of a skyscraper. They are watching the sun break through the horizon to signal the start of a new day.

Richard expelled a huge sigh before staring straight at the horizon.

"Nararamdaman ko na may konting pag-aalinlangan na sa puso mo. May kinalaman ba dito ang babaing iniligtas mo sa bundok at kinakatagpo sa panaginip?" Jerald probed.

Again, he was not able to give a concrete answer. Instead he himself asked Jerald a question that has been at the back of his mind for some time but had not really bothered asking. Because he never found the need to. Until now.

"Maaari pa ba akong bumalik sa dati kong buhay kung sakaling magbago ang isip ko pagkatapos ng pagtatalaga?"  He asked softly.

In the more than five months that he is with the guardians, Richard really felt that he has found a family, something that he was deprived of when he was growing up. He has learned to accept his fate and had come to love his new life.

If he was asked by the council of guardians more than a week ago of his decision, he would have choosen his present life over his former existence without any hesitation.

But things changed when he met Dei.

After those short encounters at the ledge and in the forest, Richard began to experience some doubts as to what he really wanted with his future. He now felt unsure of his choice.

A part of him would always look for the sense of fulfillment and accomplishment that he felt everytime he successfully finishes a mission as a guardian. It felt as if he was born for this kind of life. It gave him a renewed sense of purpose.

But when he met Dei, things began to change and he is no longer sure of what he really wanted.

He felt that he has found something he was looking for all his life and he is not sure if he is willing to give it up now that its within his grasp already.

Unfortunately, his circumstance now is no longer the same as before.

"Nababasa ko ang pagtatalo sa iyong isip. Batid ko rin ang iyong mga agam-agam, Richard. Ang tanging maipapayo ko lamang sa iyo ay pakinggan mo ang sinasabi ng puso mo. Kung maging ganap ka mang tagabantay o hindi, puso mo pa rin ang higit na makakaalam kung saan ka higit na magiging payapa at maligaya. Binigay Niya iyan sa atin upang balansehin ang dikta ng ating isip at ng mga pangyayari sa ating paligid."  Jerald tapped his chest lightly with his pointer finger while saying these before the senior guardian turned his attention back to the sunrise.

Richard fell into deep thought.

                 *****************

Later that night.

"Dei, nandito na ako..."

He watched as she excitedly turned towards his voice and literally flew into his arms.

"Akala ko di ka magpapakita sa akin. Thank you dumating ka pa rin, Richard." She clung to his neck like she is never letting go and he hugged her back just as tightly letting his entire being be overwhelmed with her presence.

"Sabi ko nga sa iyo, hindi kita kayang tiisin, Dei. Hindi ko kayang malayo sa iyo ng matagal. Kahit siguro maging ganap na akong tagabantay ay mananatili pa rin akong nakasubaybay sa iyo..."  He said truthfully as he bestowed a chaste kiss on her head before he reluctantly let her go.

The moment they are apart, Dei grabbed his hand, pulled him excitedly towards the bank of the stream and told him to sit down on the grass.

He did just that and just observed her as she lay down beside him and used his leg as a pillow. She looked up at his face and her lips broke into the sweetest smile he has ever seen.

"Bakit tayo naupo dito? Ayaw mo bang ipasyal kita kung saan mo gusto pumunta? Sabihin mo lang kahit saan, maari tayong pumunta ngayon din." He informed her while playing with her long, dark brown hair.

"Talaga ba? Humm..tempting. Pero ang totoo, ang gusto ko lang gawin ngayong gabi ay mas makilala ka pa. Mas gusto kong magkwentuhan na lang tayo dito na parang mga ordinaryong magkaibigan lang. Di ba sabi ko sa iyo kagabi na kapag magkasama tayo ay kakalimutan natin kung sino talaga tayo. Ako lang si Dei, at ikaw lang si Richard. Period. Sapat na un sa akin." Then she gave him again a sweet smile.

"Okay...ano ang gusto mong pag-usapan natin magdamag?"  He stopped playing with her hair when she grabbed his hand again and intertwined their fingers.

"Well, naikwento mo na kagabi ung mga pangyayari na naging daan upang mapasali sa mga tagabantay. Pero hindi mo pa nakwento sa'kin ung mga experiences mo bilang "OJT " na tagabantay. Ano ba ang typical na araw ng tulad mo? Maaksyon ba? Madrama? Ganoin!" He chuckled at her questions.

"Maaksyon? Ano ako superhero?" He laughed some more as he helped her up because she was trying valiantly to sit up on the grass without having to take back her hand that is still firmly intertwined with his.

" Bakit ka natatawa? Di ba iniligtas mo ako nung una tayong magkita sa bangin? Isn't that something typical sa mga tagabantay na kagaya mo?" 

He pulled their intertwined hands towards his lips and lightly kissed the back of her hand before answering.

"Ang totoo, di ganun kamaaksyon ang tipikal na araw ko. Sadya lamang matigas ang ulo at di marunong mag-ingat ng kanyang sarili ang babaeng naatang na bantay...." He was not able to finish his statement because she whacked his biceps repeatedly with her other hand in indignation.

"Ah, ganun?!! Matigas ang ulo at di maingat pala ha! Akala ko ba mababait ang mga tagabantay? Ang bully mo kaya!" She continued to whack his arm as he tried to catch her free hand to stop her assaults, the whole time laughing heartily.

She also ended up laughing hysterically and they collapsed on the grass beside each other, short of  breath but still with their hands intertwined between them as they gazed up at the clear night sky. When their laughter finally died down, they turned their heads towards each other simultaneously. He gently pulled their intertwined hands and brought them on top of his chest. A sigh of pure contentment escaped Dei's lips.

"Sana ganito na lang tayo lagi, Richard..." She whispered before returning her gaze up to the heavens, lost in her own thoughts.

"Sana nga, Dei." He also silently wished as he looked up at the stars. That is his only prayer for now.

"Sana nga..."