CHAPTER 46

"...can we give this a try? See where it takes us?"

RJ do not exactly know what made him ask those questions to her. And he can clearly see how the questions surprised her enough for her to empty the content of her wine glass in one go and how she now stared back at him in shock and confusion.

"Whoa, RJ! Kalmahan mo lang! Baka masyado kang nabibigla sa mga sinasabi mo. Tinatakot mo na sya." He chastised himself in his head.

"Ahm, klaruhin lang natin, ha. Medyo tumambling ako sa tanong mo...give what a try?" She asked carefully. RJ is seriously contemplating on smacking his own head because of his statement.

"Uhm, I mean give ourselves a chance to be good f-friends...yes! I was hoping we can become friends?" He asked her. He saw the cloud that crossed her eyes which was the opposite of the sigh of relief that she gave off a few seconds later.

"F-friends?! Sure! Friends lang pala, eh! Akala ko naman kung ano na. I can do that. Sige, starting today friends na tayo? Okay na ba yun?" She said with a cute smile. He almost want to pinch her cheeks...then kiss them.

"Huy! San galing yung kiss?! Umayos ka, RJ!" He thought. He took his wine and drank it straight as well.

"Huy! Uubusin ba natin 'tong wine to celebrate our new found friendship?" She chided him while pointing at the wine bottle between them. He shook his head lightly for it seemed to get fuzzy by the minute. He felt warm all over as well because of the wine. He is just an occasional drinker after all.

"No! I'm not really a drinker! Hindi ako ganun noh!" He answered defensively which made her laugh out loud. He felt tingly all over with just the sound of her laughter.

"Ang cute mo pag nakainom, Sir RJ!" Then she laughed again. He pouted.

"Akala ko ba friends na tayo? Bakit Sir RJ pa rin? Para tuloy ang tanda ko na eh mukha namang konti lang ang agwat ng age natin." He poutingly pointed out. She chuckled again.

"Okay, fine. Ang cute mo pag nakainom, RJ! Parang baby...para ka pa lang 6 years old..." She laughingly stated.

"Hey! I'm 26 years old, single, from Sta. Rosa, Laguna!" He announced like a pageant contestant.

"OMG! Don't tell me sumasali ka sa male pageants before?! Pero in fairness, sa looks at height mo pwedeng-pwede! By the way, I'm 23 years old so yes halos magkaedad nga lang tayo..." She answered. He blushed.

"Well, my mom sort of forced me to join the Ginoong Sta.Rosa when I was 19 years old then the Ginoong Laguna after that. Gusto nya daw kasing ipagyabang sa mga kababayan namin na may anak syang gwapo..." He laughingly shared. Then he grew quiet upon the memory. And Dei seemed to notice that as well for she moved closer and reached out to touch his hand that is resting on the table between them.

"I'm sorry for whatever it is that made you sad again. Kung di ka pa ready to share it, that's fine. Pero nandito lang ako, your new friend, to listen pag ready ka na..." She said with a reassuring smile. He smiled gratefully at her.

"Medyo di pa ko ganung kaready but I think I'm getting there...thank you." He sincerely said.

"Wait! Balik tayo sa pageant stints mo. You said you joined Ginoong Sta. Rosa AND Ginoong Laguna...you mean you won?! Wow, title holder pala ang new friend ko! I feel so privileged!" She gushed. He knew she is trying to ease him out of the melancholic mood he is in now and he appreciate her more for it. He decided to indulge her.

"Luh! Pero ang totoo nyan I won both titles within the same year, alam mo na dahil sa wit and charm ko..." He answered while doing what his friends refer to as his 'payummy' look. Dei burst out into a boisterous laugh.

"And of course do not forget dahil sa pagiging very humble mo. Yun talaga nagdala!" She quipped. They both laughed hard. He honestly cannot remember anymore the last time he laughed that hard.

"Teka! Ang daya! Nadiscover mo na ang isa sa mga secret achievements ko pero ikaw wala pa akong alam tungkol sa'yo except sa allegedly NBSB ka." He accusingly told her. She looked at him indignantly.

"Excuse me! Hindi alleged yun kundi certified! Certified NBSB ako, noh! Itanong mo pa kina Val!" She huffed.

"Ang cute cute nya talaga pag naiinis sya! Sarap nya tuloy asarin. Parang 3 yrs old lang..." He thought laughingly as he stared at her blushing cheeks.

"Okay, fine. Certified na kung certified. Pero bakit nga ba? I'm sure maraming nanligaw at kasalukuyang nanliligaw sa iyo. Including Uno..." He added quietly. She snorted.

He gestured to her wine glass again and she raised it so he can pour another serving. He did the same to his glass before he looked at her expectantly.

"W-what? Bakit ganyan ka tumingin?" She asked innocently. He just raised his eyebrows at her and remained staring at her pointedly.

"Okay! Sige na. I'm NBSB coz I believe na hindi dapat ipinipilit ang love. Kusa syang dadating pag nakilala ko na yung tamang tao sa tamang panahon." She explained then hid her face behind her glass as she took another sip of the wine.

"At hindi pa si Uno yun?" He asked quietly. He is not sure why he is pushing the subject.

"Uno is just a very good friend. A confidant and my go to person aside from Val. Pero no sparks there. Di siguro sya ang nakatakdang forever ko." She answered nonchalantly. Its his turn to snort.

"Walang forever..." He answered softly.

"Wow! Ang jaded naman ng tingin mo sa love! Pwede bang malaman kung bakit ka umabot sa ganyang conclusion?" She asked curiously.

"Nasasabi mo lang yan kasi di ka pa nakakaranas ng real heartbreak..." He answered back.

"Ahm, I have actually...mas pinipili ko nga lang maniwala na everything happens for a reason. Trials come either to teach us a lesson or make us stronger. Dapat positive lang ang outlook para positive din ang balik..." She reasoned out. That got him thinking.

"So positive ka na may dadating talagang taong magiging forever mo?" He asked her also taking a sip of his wine.

"Yes! Baka natraffic lang sa EDSA or nadelay sa customs...ganoin! Haha!" She hysterically laughed at that. Maybe she is already a little tipsy from the wine. He knew he is.

"May chance kaya na ako na yun?" He asked himself softly.

He did not notice that he spoke aloud until she stopped laughing abruptly and looked his way, stunned.

"Susmaryosep!"