CHAPTER 11

"I'm finally here! Ang tagal kong hinintay ito. Nandito ka pa ba? I can't wait to see you again..." Dei silently looked around the area leading to the jump-off point at the foot of the mountain.

Dei and her team have finally arrived at the site after a two hour early morning drive to Quezon Province for the magazine shoot.

She spent the whole week replaying in her head everything that has happened to her and the handsome stranger in this very mountain. She thought of the moment she opened her eyes and saw Richard's face for the first time after he saved her at the ledge up to the time she opened her eyes and realized that she is back at the camp site after being with him that morning in the forest.

The past week had been a blur. She went about her work and daily routines, functioning normally but inside she is plagued by memories of her time with Richard.

She needs to see him again.

What made the feeling worse is that she can't even share her thoughts with other people to help her make sense of things. She knew they would not understand. She can barely explain nor comprehend those things that happened to her herself.

Well, she tried sharing bits and pieces of what happened to her that morning with Valerie but her friend just brushed aside her story.

"Dei, sobrang napagod ka lang siguro sa trek natin kaya kung anu-ano na naman ang napapanaginipan mo. O malamang nagsleep walk ka kaya ka nakarating kung saan. Naku! Pasalamat na lang tayo na wala na uling masamang nangyari sa iyo. Babalik pa naman tayo uli dito next week for the actual magazine shoot. Please lang Dei umayos ka naman! Nakakawala ng freshness ang pag-aalala sa iyo. Sa totoo lang, day!" Valerie was shaking her head and rolling her eyes at her at the same time while saying this.

Dei sighed in frustration.

Dei's mind was dragged back to the present when Valerie gently bumped her shoulder to catch her drifting consciousness.

"Dei, ready na lahat ng gamit at mga kasama natin. Shall we start the trek?"
Dei looked at her team then stared excitedly up ahead on the mountain trail in front of them and said:

"Yes! I can't wait to get started. Let's do this!" She said enthusiastically and started walking ahead of everyone towards the mountain trail. There is a defined lilt in her movements as they ascended the mountain.

Dei and her team were able to reach the designated camp site after two hours of trekking.

By the time they reached the site, the sun has already completely risen and almost everyone in the team are complaining of the heat and exhaustion from the trek. It was a humid day.

Dei just quietly stood there with a ghost of a smile on her face and an excited glint in her eyes unmindful of the grumbles of the people around her.

"Okay guys! Let's take a break while our guides are setting up the camp. We have sandwiches in the hamper and cold drinks in the coolers. Have your snacks before we start preparing for the first lay-out..." She instructed the group cheerfully while discreetly eyeing the partially hidden trail that leads to the ledge.

And while everyone was busy getting their own refreshments, Dei quietly started moving towards the direction of the trail fully determined to accomplish her top priority in coming to this mountain before anything else.

She walked determinedly while glancing back every now and then at the members of her team who are all busy badgering each other as they eat their snacks.

Dei heaved a huge sigh of relief when she finally reached the clump of trees and shrubs that hid the trail without the group noticing her actions.

The moment she was out of sight, Dei hurriedly sprinted towards the ledge.

"Please be there...please!" Was her silent prayer.

In a few minutes she finally reached the ledge. She stopped a few feet away from the edge and bent forward with her hands on her knees trying to catch her breath. Her heart was frantically hammering inside her chest not just because of the exertion of running but also due to anticipation.

She stayed in that position for a few seconds more while looking from side to side to check her surroundings before she slowly straigthened up.

There was no sign of any other human being in sight. She can only feel the slightly humid breeze as it is already close to midday.

Dei scanned the horizon while trying vigilantly to control the strong feeling of disappointment that suddenly consumed her at the realization that he was not there.

"Nasaan ka? Sabi mo hihintayin mo ako dito. Sabi mo magkikita pa tayo. Pinaasa mo lang ba ako sa wala?"   She bitterly thoughts as tears pricked her eyes. She closed her eyes tightly as she tries to control her emotions.

"Dei.."

She immediately froze in place when she heard that very familiar voice utter her name.

But she dare not open her eyes just yet for fear that her subconscious mind is just playing a cruel trick on her now.

She had been hearing that voice in her head almost everyday for the past week especially in the quiet of the night.

She is tired of having that hollow feeling inside when she feels his presence strongly when she is alone at night but not finding him there.

"Dei..."

She heard again that calm voice but this time it was immediately followed by fingers slowly alighting on her shoulders and persuading her to turn around with the lightest pressure.

She slowly followed the heed and turned around with her eyes still closed. Her heart is beating again in that frantic way that only happens when he is near.

Dei slowly opened her eyes and the tears she was fighting back a while ago finally broke free and fell on her flushed cheeks as she longingly stared again at those enchanting pair of hazel eyes.

"Dei, nandito na ako. Kagaya ng pinangako ko sa iyo."  He uttered huskily as he stared back at her with equal longing.

Dei could no longer contain her emotions and she felt the first sob escape her when he suddenly pulled her ever so gently for a hug.

It felt like everything was alright again in her world when she felt his strong arms around her.

So she clung on to him tightly as her frail body continues to be rocked by sobs she could no longer contain.

His hold on her tighten as he soothed her silently by brushing her hair lovingly with his right hand as his other arm gathered her body as closer as possible to him.

"I can't stay away from you, Dei. Hindi ko kaya..."