CHAPTER 50

"Dei..."

RJ sat up from his own bed. He looked around him. Yes, he is in his old room at their ancestral house and not by a mountain stream.

He saw almost the same dream again as he had in his office yesterday afternoon except that this time they were walking around the clearing and chatting animatedly about random things as they laugh together. He can still feel that tingling sensation he had when he heard her asthmatic laughter.

"Bakit ko napapanaginipan ang lugar na iyon at kasama ko pa si Dei? Parang nakarating na ko dati dun pero parang hindi naman...alaala ba yun o panaginip lang talaga? Pero sabi ni Dei ngayon lang naman kami nagkakilala..." He asked himself in confusion. The dream felt so real but at the same time it isn't.

"Must be the wine I consumed last night...medyo nasobrahan lang siguro ako." He mused. Then his thoughts went back to last night's events.

He was enjoying their silent communication the whole night as they both mingle with the other people they are with at the party. RJ could not explain it but he felt content just glancing at her from time to time and exchanging smiles with her.

"Parang ngiti pa lang nya buo na yung gabi ko. Kahit di ko sya makausap okay na ko. Pero iba din naman yung feeling nung makasama at makausap ko sya dun sa may gazebo. Ang labo!"  He laughingly thought as he rested his back at the headboard of his bed and continued daydreaming about her. He felt giddy as he remembered the time when he helped her back to her villa.

"Dei, aalis na ako. I will leave your key by the bedside table and lock the door when I go out. Will you be alright here alone or gusto mong tawagin ko si Val para masamahan ka niya dito sa room?" He asked her in a gentle voice. She whimpered.

"Richard, wag mo kong iwan, please...ang tagal kitang hinanap...wag ka na umalis ulit please..." She mumbled brokenly. It almost made him want to punch someone or something again when he heard her say that.

"Dei, si RJ to...Dito lang ako hanggang makatulog ka. Pahinga ka na. Bukas usap tayo pag okay na pakiramdam mo. Tonight, just rest." He spoke to her in a whisper as he leaned closer to her ear.

Dei slowly opened her eyes and looked up at him with a sad smile. She lifted her hand and touched his cheek with a dainty finger. Her simple touch caused shivers to run up and down his spine that he had to close his eyes for a moment to savor it before looking at her again.

"Thank you..." She mumbled before she closed her eyes again and slept. He just stared at her, having mixed emotions.

"Dei, ano bang gagawin ko sa iyo? Bakit ako nagkakaganito dahil sa'yo?" He asked himself with a sigh.

RJ decided to rest his back at her bed's headboard, as he held her hand, and watched her sleep. He traced her face slowly with his eyes: from her perfect brows, to her closed eyes that are framed by long lashes, to her dainty nose, high cheekbones...then her luscious lips. He swallowed hard again as he try to fight the overwhelming urge to kiss her plump lips.

"RJ, bordering on rape na ang tumatakbo sa isip mo. Di ka pinalaking mapagsamantala sa babaeng lasing at tulog. Buti pa tumayo ka na dyan at lumabas na ng kwarto bago ka pa sapian ng masamang espiritu at may gawin kang di dapat kay Dei..." He instructed himself in his head. But his body would not heed his mind's instructions. He just continued to watch her sleep with a possibly goofy expression on his face.

The next thing he knew, he heard a door closing abruptly. He opened his eyes and found himself sleeping beside Dei with his arm as her pillow and him holding her hand on top of his chest. He turned towards the direction of the door when he heard a soft clearing of throat and his eyes widened upon seeing Dei's best friend regarding him suspiciously. He immediately disentangled himself carefully from her and stood up from the bed.

"Val! Hinatid ko lang si Dei kanina dito kasi nalasing sya. Sorry nakatulog na pala ako sa tabi nya. Hindi ko sinasadya at don't worry wala akong ginawa sa kanya...sige aalis na ako para makapahinga ka na rin. Sorry uli.." He remember saying as he hastily walked towards the door. Val just nodded at him and followed him with her eyes until he was out of the room.

RJ heaved a huge sigh. He wants to talk to Dei again now to make sure she is alright. His heart constricted again as he remembered how she whimpered last night as she tells him not to leave her thinking possibly that he is the other man who left her. His fist itched to punch something or someone again at the thought.

"Kung sino man yung nakasakit sa iyo dati, pipilitin ko na makalimutan mo sya. Di ako titigil hanggang di ka nagiging okay emotionally. Para kapag tamang panahon na, ready ka nang magmahal ng buo..." He promised himself determinedly.

He stood up then and made his bed before he walked towards his bathroom to freshen up so he can start his mission today.

After dressing up, RJ ate breakfast with his grandparents and told them that he will be going back to Manila after the guests check out later that day.

"Okay ka lang ba, RJ? May dinadamdam ka ba, apo?" His lola asked him softly. He forced a smile.

"Okay po ako, lola. Meron lang po akong pinaplanong gawin na sana magawa ko ng maayos kasi dito nakasalalay ang future ko..." He answered. His grandparents looked at each other, obviously clueless as to what he meant but decided to keep silent.

"...with her." He thought.