CHAPTER 66

RJ's heart sank lower inside for every additional second passing by that she is still not answering his call.

Then she rejected it.

RJ held on to his nape in frustration. He was about to try dialing her number again when Kris suddenly appeared beside him.

"Bro, don't tell me si Dei iyang tinatawagan mo?! RJ, I told you give her time to calm down. We attended this conference for an important reason aside sa para makapag-isip ka and at the same time mabigyan mo ng space si Dei. Kung talagang destined na maging parte sya ng buhay mo, kusang mangyayari yun. Wag mong pilitin. Focus ka lang muna sa agenda natin dito." Kris advised him as he glanced at his phone screen one more time before deciding to put it back inside his pocket reluctantly.

"Kris, alam mo namang di ako matatahimik kapag alam ko na merong galit or may tampo sa akin. I am getting the cold shoulder treatment and I know I really deserve it. Pero di ko talaga sinasadyang saktan si Dei, bro." He answered frustratedly.

"I know, bro. But you also need to understand na babae si Dei. You have to give her time to think things through then saka mo suyuin pag kalmado na sya. Focus ka muna sa agenda natin dito. Alam mo naman na importante ang rason kaya tayo umattend ng conference na ito..."

RJ just gave out another frustrated sigh and looked away.

"Again, give her time. Let's attend the conference, accomplish what we came here for then after that lets go out and enjoy the night life here. Chill. We are in Subic! Maaayos din ng kusa yang problem mo with Dei." Kris tapped his shoulder reassuringly as then walk back inside the ballroom where the conference is being held. He just gave his friend a wan smile.

"Kris is right. I have an important task to accomplish today so I should focus on that." He thought dejectedly as they walk back to the hall.

They came to this conference to be able to convince a very influential business tycoon who happens to be the keynote speaker to agree to have a meeting with them for a project that the hospital is hoping to launch by next year. They need to convince the tycoon to partner with them for the project. RJ was tasked by the hospital board to gain the approval of the tycoon to prove his capabilities. He can't afford to be distracted by anything, especially by a woman. Never again. His and his family's future and reputation depend on it.

They registered by the door and got their kits from the reception before they entered the conference hall. There are already a number of people roaming around the hall socializing. They found a table near the front of the stage close to the podium where the keynote address will be delivered and sat down to plan their strategy.

He and Kris were still discussing things when the emcee announced the arrival of the keynote speaker and the program officially started. RJ listened to everything that the man said and mentally prepared and strategized how he will approach him after the talk.

The tycoon's speech eventually ended and the whole conference hall clapped. He prepared himself as he saw the man go down the stage and was immediately surrounded by other businessmen and media people who would either want to shake his hand, have a picture with him, take his picture or have a chat. He discretely left his seat and gestured to Kris who just nodded and gave him a thumbs up sign.

He purposefully walked towards the direction of where the man is having a conversation with a bunch of elderly businessmen and waited for his chance. Then he saw the tycoon being escorted out of the conference hall by a bunch of security personnel and he squared his shoulder and followed the group before it exited the venue.

"Excuse me, Engr. Mendoza." He politely called out to get the attention of the man. The older man glanced his way with a questioning look but did not answer. He was able to intercept them before the group was able to go out of the main door of the hall. A security detail tried to block his way but a discrete gesture from the man and the security immediately stepped back to let him approach.

"Yes, young man? What can I do for you?" He asked with a soft but authoritative voice.

"I apologize for delaying your departure. I'm Richard Faulkerson, Jr. from Nuvali Medical Center." RJ extended his hand for a handshake which the man took and returned. RJ decided to go for the kill immediately.

"I was hoping to set up an appointment with you at your office to discuss a partnership proposition with our hospital." He immediately informed the man. He knew the man is known for being straightforward and astute.

"Faulkerson you said? How are you related to the Faulkerson Group's Ricardo Faulkerson?" The older man asked, poker faced.

"He's my father, Sir." He immediately answered. The man eyed him intently.

"Yes, I can see the resemblance. I knew your father when he was still alive. Has it been four years?" The man asked softly.

"Five years actually, Sir." He answered in a strained voice, still not comfortable talking about his family especially strangers. The man nodded.

"I see. Well, I have to leave now for another engagement. Ask for my business card from my assistant Michael so you can call for an appointment." The elder man said.

"Thank you very much for the opportunity, Engr. Mendoza." He answered with a huge smile and they shook hands again before the man briskly exited the hall. He turned to the assistant who readily handed him a card and immediately followed his boss out of the venue.

RJ grinned and stared at the card in his hand.

"Engr. Teodoro Mandoza, prepare to be impressed..."