CHAPTER 58

"Really?! You don't strike me as the jealous type...and I've always been clear with Uno that I only see him as a dear friend. Nothing more." She explained in a soft voice. This made his heart flutter especially when he saw the sincerity in her eyes. He can't help but smile happily and eyed her in a teasing manner.

"Oh, you don't know how jealous I can get...but I can be reasonable if I feel secure about where I stand..." He was almost whispering. He was trying to convey through his eyes things that he can't tell her verbally just yet. They continue to talk in hushed tones, their food almost forgotten. Then the server approached them with a dessert platter.

"Excuse me, sir, ma'am. The gentleman on the other table asked me to serve you this dessert. He said ma'am that this is your favorite. This is on him.." The server said, suddenly breaking the spell between them. They both looked up in confusion. He saw Dei glanced at the direction where Uno is seated and smiled. It looked more like a grimace though.

"Pre, di kita papatulan...pasalamat ka nandito si Dei..." He was internally talking to himself while eyeing the other guy silently. Uno was also eyeing him discreetly, sizing him up. He decided to just concentrate on Dei and not make a move that may cause a scene. He looked back at her and Dei gave him a bright smile, before she said:

"I think we better go now..."

RJ hanged for a moment there, not sure if he heard her right. He looked at her with questioning eyes but she just raised her eyebrow at him.

"Are you okay, RJ? We can leave now if your good..." She said and he shook himself mentally.

"Yes! I mean of course, we can leave anytime. We can do this some other time..." He answered while gesturing to the server for the bill.

They just engaged in small talk until the bill was delivered. RJ immediately glanced at the paper and just pulled out money from his wallet and immediately stood up to assist Dei with her seat.

They exited the restaurant together. He saw Dei give Uno a small nod before walking directly to the door. They walked silently to his car. He opened the passenger door, assisted her in before he went to the driver side. The moment he slid into the driver's seat and closed his door, he heard Dei give out a huge sigh. He turned to her.

"Okay ka lang, Dei?" He asked her worriedly. She was leaning back on her seat with her eyes closed. She slowly opened her eyes and turned to him as well. His heartbeat doubled again. She really has a very mesmerizing pair of chocolate brown eyes.

"RJ, I'm really sorry about how Uno behaved back there. Di ko alam ano pumasok sa isip nung taong yun. I'm grateful na di mo sya pinatulan. Sorry talaga!" She said apologetically, then pouted cutely.

"Dei, don't pout like that! Sobrang nakakagigil. Baka makagat ko yang lips mo!" He thought as he stared with suppressed longing at her lips.

"You don't have to apologize, Dei. It's not your fault. And as I said I understand. Lalaki din ako." He assured her.

"Kahit na. Nasira tuloy ang dinner natin at di rin tayo nakakain ng maayos. Why don't we go some place else to eat a light snack perhaps? Di pa rin tapos ang psych evaluation ko, di ba?" She suggested. He smiled.

"I have an idea. Why don't I cook for you instead? We can drop by at my place and I'll whip up something for you..." He saw a shadow of doubt cross her pretty face so he immediately said: "...but if your not comfortable with that we can go to another restaurant instead..."

"Uhm, maybe we can go to my place instead and you can cook something for me AND Valerie..." She answered with a smirk. He blushed despite himself.

"Of course, I can cook for you ladies. Kahit buong barangay pa iinvite mo! How does Chicken Pesto Pasta and garlic sticks sound to you?" He asked her.

"That sounds perfect! Actually those are my favorites." She answered happily.

"Great! Daan lang muna tayo sa grocery so I can buy ingredients." He said as he pull out of the parking lot of the restaurant.

"No need. I have ingredients at our condo. I told you those are my favorites so I always stock up for when I have time to cook for us." She smiled.

"Are you sure? Bigla yata akong napressure na baka madisappoint ka sa luto ko lalo at favorite mo pa. Wag na lang kaya?!" He answered with a little trepidation.

"Shouldn't I be the judge of that? Paano ko macoconfirm kung di ko pa natry. Malay mo magustuhan ko. Mukha ka namang magaling...magluto." She bantered with a sly smile.

It felt like the temperature suddenly shoot up inside the car that RJ broke into sweat. He glanced at her as he navigate the busy city streets and smiled.

"Okay, well my friends said I'm decent enough as a...cook. So I guess you're on. Let's go!" He answered enthusiastically.

Dei gave him directions to her and Valerie's condo and they chatted about a lot of things during the ride. They did not even mind the heavy traffic, absorbed as they are with each other.

"You know what?" She asked.

"No, what?" He asked back.

"I think we are going to be very good friends. I have a very good feeling about us." She said with her signature bright smile.

"I hope we will eventually end up more than that. Pero parang di pa tayo parehong handa. For now. But I promise you we'll eventually get there, Dei." He thought as he stole a glance at her beautiful face before concentrating again on his driving.

"Same here, Dei. Same here." He softly answered.