CHAPTER 78

RJ immediately got himself busy setting up their tents when they arrived at the camp site. He brought two single tents for Dei and himself. He wants the tents in place before he works on the firepit to cook their food in during their stay. He glanced at Dei and saw that she is already checking the supplies for their late lunch. He then turned back to the tent and concentrated on the task at hand.

He was already done with the first tent when he remembered to ask Dei something.

"Dei, sa aling tent mo nga pala gusto magstay? Dito sa yellow or sa black..." He started asking then turned to face her. But his words died down when he didn't find her sitting by their bags on the other side of the clearing.

"Dei! Dei!" He began calling out as he looked around him on the clump of trees surrounding their camp site. He listened closely for any sound aside from the normal forest noise but he heard none. With his heartbeat hammering through his chest, he immediately started looking for clues around him as to her possible whereabout.

RJ was about to step to the left side of the clearing when he noticed something on the soft soil.

Shoe prints!

He immediately followed the trail which leads to the dark side of the forest. He hastened his steps until he was almost running.

"Dei, saan ka ba nagpunta? Sabi ko naman huwag lalayo sa akin. Ang tigas talaga ng ulo ng babaeng 'yun! Pasalamat sya..."He was muttering to himself when he abruptly stopped when he realized where he is.

He reached a shallow stream surrounded by a canopy of centuries old trees. He knew this place well. He always spend time here during his trips with his friends to pray and commune with nature. This is also a favorite spot in this mountain aside from the hidden ledge on the other side of the clearing.

He was about to step away to resume his search for Dei when he sees her standing just a few meters away from where he is. She has her back to him so she may not have seen him arrive.

"Dei!"

He called out to her but she remained unmoving as if she did not hear him. He decided to approach her.

"Dei..." He called her again when he is already standing directly behind her but still got no response so he grabbed her gently by the forearm to turn her around to face him.

She has a blank expression on her face.

"Dei! Anong ginagawa mo dito? Di ba sabi ko wag kang lalayo sa..." He ask her with a sigh of exasperation but he stopped abruptly when she remained staring blankly in space and is not responding to him. His eyebrows knitted in confusion as he looked at her closely. Worry starts to creep in when her expression remained blank even after a few seconds.

"Dei! Anong nangyari?! Please say something. You are starting to scare me..." He asked her while shaking her lightly trying to "awaken" her from her trance-like state.

She then blinked a few times then looked up at him in surprise.

"RJ?! Bakit, anong nangyari?...teka...n-nasaan tayo?" She asked, looking utterly lost and confused.

"Wala kang naalala? Di mo alam kung bakit ka nandito?" He asked her while observing her reactions intently.

"Huh?! Ang huli ko lang natatandaan nagbubuklat ako ng supplies natin para maghanap ng iluluto ko for our late lunch then nagulat na lang ako na nandito ka na sa harap ko at nandito tayo sa...a-anong nangyari?!" Her eyes growing big as realization dawned on her. He immediately embraced her before looking at the trees around them. He can feel her erratic heartbeat.