CHAPTER 43

"Ahm...Lola Linda really took a liking to you and asked me to invite you for lunch sa bahay. You can bring someone with you. I also invited Paolo but he said he needed to leave for some errands and will not be back until later this afternoon...p-pero okay lang if you are not available. I know it's short notice and alam ko namang busy kayo sa shoot..."He added hastily. She smiled at his cute expression. He looked like a highschool kid asking his crush for a date. Then she frowned at the thought.

"Luh! Assumera ka na naman, girl! Kaya ka nahohopia lagi eh! Lola nya ang nagpainvite hindi sya kusang nag-aya. At anong date pinagsasasabi mo dyan?!" She chastised herself in her head. RJ was regarding her intently again. Dei glanced at the other members of her team who are still busy setting up their next lay-out. She is torn between accepting the invitation and just giving him an alibi.

"Hey! Don't worry about it. It's okay to say no. I can tell lola na sobrang busy kayo sa shoot..." He touched her arm as he said this. She glanced at his hand before she answered.

"No! I mean I'm okay with lunch at your house. I will just ask Val to accompany me. Daanan lang muna natin sya on our way?" She asked tentatively. His face broke into that enchanting bedimpled smile again. She melted.

"Sure! Let's go? Kaya mo na bang maglakad?" He asked as he assisted her in standing up from the bench.

"Yes! I'm good. Tapilok lang to. Di na masakit..." Then she walked cringing ahead of him. He just followed her silently. When they reached the area where Val and the crew are waiting she immediately informed Val about his grandmother's invitation for lunch.

"Ay! Sorry, girl! Nasabi ko kina Sam na sasabay ako sa kanilang maglunch today kasi aayusin pa namin yung konting issue sa next lay-out natin after lunch. Ikaw na lang sumama kay Sir RJ sa kanila. Sige ka baka magtampo si Lola Linda pag di ka pumunta..." Val threatened with a knowing smirk.

And right then she knew she was played. She moved closer and secretly pinched her friend on her side saying:

"Humanda ka sa akin mamaya pagbalik ko, Val. Umayos ka..."

Val just continued to smirk at her and whispered back:

"Enjoy, bes!"

Dei was already thinking of ways to get even with Val as she walked back to where RJ was waiting.

"Sir RJ, let's go? Di daw pwede si Val may aayusin pa sa lay-out..." She stopped because she realized that he did not hear her. He looked deep in thought, his brows furrowed together. She snapped her fingers in front of his face to get his attention.

"Huy! Okay ka lang? Sabi ko tara na. Di daw pwede si Val kasi may aayusin pa sila for the lay-out so tayo na lang daw. Pinapasabi nya sorry daw." Dei explained hastily. She doesn't want him to see anything in her eyes again so she avoided looking at him by looking down at her shoes.

"Oh, It's okay. Medyo may iniisip lang. Pasensya na talaga mukhang bad timing pa ang lunch invite ni lola sa iyo. Pero kung di talaga makakaistorbo sa work mo, let's go?" He asked softly. She felt lightheaded because of the tone of his voice that all she can manage as a reply is a small smile.

They walked silently side by side along the short pathway that lead to his family's ancestral house. It looked both imposing in its size and homey at the same time with the lush greenery surrounding it. She looked around appreciatively.

They reached the front door in a few moments and RJ stepped aside to let her pass after opening the door for her.

"In fairness, gentleman si kuya!" She giddily thought.

"Lola, may bisita po tayo!" RJ announced as they enter the main door of the ancestral house. He gestured for Dei to come in and escorted her to the cozy living room where he told her to sit on the sofa.

"Ms. Dei, upo ka muna hahanapin ko lang si Lola..." He started when they heard an excited voice from somewhere within the house.

"RJ?! Kasama mo ba si Ms. Dei? Halina kayo dito sa may kusina para pagkaluto nitong ulam ay makakain na tayo ng pananghalian." They heard his Lola's voice coming from the direction of the kitchen. RJ smiled at her and led her to a side entrance that eventually led to an adjoining dining room and kitchen.

"Dei, iha! Buti naman at napapayag ka ng apo ko na dito mananghalian. Upo ka muna iha at malapit na itong maluto. RJ, asikasihin mo si Dei. Dyan mo na lang sya paupuin sa kanan." His Lola Linda immediately instructed after Dei greeted her again.

"Thank you po, lola sa pag-invite. May maitutulong po ba ako sa pagprepare ng lunch?" She politely asked as she sat down after RJ pulled out a chair for her at the dining table. Lola Linda is busy stirring a pot of what smells like sinigang and her mouth can't help but water at the exquisite aroma.

"Naku, iha! Upo ka lang dyan at bisita ka namin dito. Kami na ni RJ ang bahala. Bihira akong magkaroon ng bisita kaya masaya ako na nandito ka. Di naman nagsasama ng mga kaibigan dito si RJ at bihira din umuwi." Lola Linda said with a hint of reproach as she pointedly looked at RJ.

RJ circled the island counter that served both as the preparation area and divider for the kitchen and the dining area and embraced his grandmother affectionately. Dei felt lighthearted at the scene between the two. It made her miss her family especially her abuela. She made a mental note to visit them next weekend.

"Lola, pasensya na...alam mo namang tinatry ko talaga umuwi ng mas madalas para di mo ko masyadong namimiss di ba?" She heard him tell his lola. Both looked in her direction and smiled. She smiled back at them.

"Hay, tama na nga iyan, Ricardo! May bisita tayo. Buti pa ilagay mo na itong bandehado ng kanin at bopis sa lamesa at ako na ang bahala sa sinigang at pritong isda para makakain na tayo. Tawagin mo na rin si lolo mo sa kwarto." His lola instructed which RJ immediately heeded.

They sat together at the table once everything is set and said a short prayer before RJ served the dishes to everyone on the table. Lolo Danny sat at the head of the table, Lola Linda on his left and Dei on his right. RJ was seated on the other side of Dei.She thanked him shyly.

"Lola, ang sarap po ng mga luto nyo! Lalo na po itong sinigang, favorite ko po ito lalo na pag ganitong maraming kangkong." She quipped. The old lady smiled appreciatively at her.

"Salamat, iha. Sige, kumain ka lang. Gusto ko sa dalaga iyang maganang kumain at hindi gaya nung iba na puro diet-diet ang sinasabi. Oy, RJ tandaan mo na sinigang ang paborito ni Dei ha!" Lola Linda reminded her grandson who almost choked on the glass of water he was drinking at the moment.

"Lolaaa!"