CHAPTER 76

AN: Sorry for the very late update. I'm going through a personal trial right now which is making me question again my capabilities both as a person and a professional. I somehow lost my writing muse because of it so sorry in advance if this is a so-so update. Hope you guys had a nice Christmas with your families despite the challenges life throws at us and may we all have a better year ahead. God bless!

*****

"Would you like to be my girlfriend, Dei?"

RJ distinctly heard the soft gasp that escaped Dei's lips at his question. He stole a glance at her and he saw the look of surprise on her face before she turned to pretend to look at the view from her side window. His heart rate went on overdrive.

"RJ, wrong move! Hindi mo dapat sya binibigla ng ganun! Paano kung lumayo sya dahil sa pagiging adelentado mo? Boy dulas ka talaga!" He silently reprimanded himself as he wait for any other reaction from her end. But he heard none.

Every second that passed without her uttering a word just made him more nervous. He clutched the steering wheel firmly with both hands while silently waiting for her to speak. Silence continued to prevail inside the car. Until he couldn't take it anymore.

"Dei, please say something..." He glanced at her again as he continued to drive. He is sorely tempted to pull up on the side of the road so they can talk but they are in the middle of the highway.

"A-ahm...hehe...funny ka! N-Nagjojoke ka na ngayon? Komedyante ka na rin? Lumalawak ang career options mo, ah..." Dei stammered as she gave a very fake laugh, obviously trying to make light of the awkward situation. All thanks to him.

"Dei..." He started but she cut his words off.

"Buti walang ulan ngayon, noh? Nagcheck ako ng weather forecast maliit lang daw ang chance of rain pero in case umulan ready dapat tayo kasi camping ang gagawin natin...." She blabbered on, blatantly changing the topic while while looking everywhere but at him. He heaved a deep sigh.

"Dei..." He try to start again but she continued to blabber on in a louder voice, deliberately ignoring his attempts at a conversation.

"...nung nagphotoshoot kami dun nina Val...ay kalabaw!" She exclaimed when he suddenly swung the car to the curb without warning, stopped the car then clicked on the hazard button before turning to face her. He found her holding on tightly to the hand rail of the car and side of her seat, staring incredulously at him.

"Dei, I'm sorry if nabigla ka sa sinabi ko. Let me explain..." He earnestly told her.

"Huminto pa talaga tayo sa gilid ng highway para mag-explain? May death wish ka ba?!" She asked him, wide-eyed. He blushed crimson in embarrassment.

"S-sorry na..." He sheepishly answered again while rubbing his right ear that he knew has turned beet red. She sighed.

"A-akala ko ba aakyat tayo ng bundok para dun tayo maghanap ng sagot sa mga tanong natin pareho?" She asked him in a low voice. He stared at her eyes intently and after a few seconds he looked down defeatedly.

"Okay. Pagdating na lang natin sa camp site saka natin ituloy ang usapan na'to. Sorry uli..." He answered in a small voice. He can't help but feel disappointed at her answer.

"Awww...wag na tampo ang baby. Medyo mahaba habang usapan ito so mamaya na lang pagdating natin sa site..." Dei cooed at him. RJ looked up in surprise.

"Did you just call me baby?" He asked with a hint of a grin on his lips. He saw her surprise as realization hit her. But she immediately recovered her composure.

"Ahm, wag ka ngang ano dyan! That's an allusion to your behavior and not an endearment. Para kang payb years old kung magtampo!" She retorted which made him laugh out loud. He was still chuckling softly as he restarted the car engine and enter the road again. Dei just crossed her arms on her chest and gave him a sharp glare as she turn away. But not before he saw a ghost of a smile on her pouty lips. He shook his head.

"Ah, Dei! You really are something. I can't wait for us to spend more time together on the mountains. I'm sure I will be discovering more delightful sides to your colorful personality. Promise, hindi ako titigil hangga't hindi nasasagot lahat ng tanong natin lalo na yung huling tanong ko sa'yo." He inwardly told himself as he drove to their destination.