Chapter 23

"Beshie, sige na please kumain ka muna nito kahit konti lang. Favorite mo 'to di ba? Wala ka na ngang tulog, wala ka pang kain?!" They were at her office where she was seated at her work table furiously typing on her laptop while Valerie is holding in front of her a take out bowl of ramen to entice her to eat. Its already 4pm but she has not had a decent meal yet since that morning. She was only surviving on jolts of energy from the liters of coffee she consumed through out the day. But she is oblivious to it all. She is on a serious mission.

"Gurl, kung nakamamatay ang overdose sa kape kanina ka pa bulagta dyan! At ano ba pinagkaka-abalahan mo? Kung hindi ka nakababad sa internet, nasa phone ka at kung sino sino ang kausap. Bukod pa yan sa tambak nating shoots at editing..." Still Dei just continued to tap away at her laptop doing her research, oblivious to the worried words of her assistant.

"...halos di ka lumalabas sa condo mo earlier this week at puro tulog lang ginagawa mo pero this past few days naman halos di ka naman natutulog? Ano ba ang nangyayari sa'yo, gurl? Nagdadrugs ka ba?  Maiintindihan ko naman, besh. Bestfriends tayo di ba? Tutulungan kita. Ipapagamot kita. May kilala akong doctor na pwedeng tumulong sa pagpaparehab mo...."  Her eyes darted  up at Valerie's face at the mention of a doctor.

"Talaga? may kilala kang doktor? Connected ba sya sa isang hospital? Saan? Bigay mo sa akin ang number nya para matawagan ko agad..wait! Better yet halika samahan mo ako puntahan natin..." She excitedly asked as she start gathering her things and shoving them inside her purse.

Dei has been desperately checking any information she can get about the possible location of Richard's body since she realized earlier in the week that he is serious about not showing himself anymore in her dreams. She went online searching for news about any accident involving a man in his early 20s six months ago but so far she had not found any that may lead her to him. She also tried calling newspapers and even police stations checking if she can find any record. It proved impossible to find someone you don't really know personally.

"Miss, ano ang buong pangalan ng hinahanap mong tao? Saan nangyari ang aksidente na sinasabi mo?" These are the usual questions she got fom police officers she inquired with over the phone. She had no answers to these questions but she persisted.

"Officer, sige na po baka may kahit anong impormasyon  po kayong makita sa record nyo, please! Importante lang po talaga..." She begged.

"Miss, tumawag ka na lang uli pag may sagot ka na sa mga tanong ko kasi busy kami dito at di ka namin maasikaso unless sigurado ka na may nangyari talaga sa kaibigan mo."

She sighed at the memory.

Her only hope now is to check hospitals to determine if they have a patient that would match Richard's description but she can't do that over the phone.

When she stood up from her swivel chair to force Valerie to accompany her, the world seemed to tilt from under her feet that she stumbled as she tried to hold on to the swivel chair's arm for support.

"Besh! Okay ka lang ba? Sandali lang upo ka muna uli..." Valerie said while putting the bowl down on top of the desk to free her hands to assist Dei. She has not even finished her statement though when Dei's legs suddenly gave out from under her and she crumbled to the floor.

"Susmaryosep! Dei!!!"

                         *****

Dei slowly came through much later. She found herself in bed on an enclosed cubicle. She tried to stand but felt too dizzy that she gingerly lay back in bed as she try to remember what happened to her that caused her to end up in an hospital.

She can hear voices around her but she can't make out the words being said. One portion of the curtain that is surrounding her bed then parted and she saw Valerie come in while talking to a guy wearing a doctor's coat.

"V-Val, anong nangyari? Bakit ako nandito?" She asked weakly.

"Dei! Naku, buti nagkamalay ka na! Kumusta pakiramdam mo? Hinimatay ka kanina sa office kaya sinugod ka namin dito. Papunta na sina Tita Mary Ann. Hinihintay na lang din ang result ng blood test at ct-scan mo kasi nabagok ang ulo mo pagbagsak mo kanina." Dei looked around the small cubicle before answering.

"Okay naman ako, medyo hilo lang..." She is still distractedly trying to see beyond the parted portion of the curtain.

"Ms. Mendoza, I'm Dr. Kris Martin. Based on initial tests, you are dehydrated and over fatigued. I wrote here a prescription for meds you need to take. You can already go home once we have the official results of your tests coz I'm pretty confident that they are okay except for those I mentioned a while ago. Just be sure to take plenty of fluids, eat on time and sleep so you'll regain your strength..." The doctor said as he did some routine physical checks on her again.

"Thank you, doc..." But she was interrupted by a frantic nurse who suddenly appeared beside the doctor.

"Excuse me doc, ung pasyente nyo pong si Richard Faulkerson Jr. sa ICU #2 po nagfaflatline. Kailangan po kayo dun...."

Dei's heart almost stopped beating upon hearing the name of the patient. Something inside is telling her that she may have already found him but she may already be too late. She suddenly realized that today is the day that Richard will become a full pledged guardian.

She did not notice the doctor and nurse leave until another nurse came in with the result of her tests telling them that she is free to go after settling the bills. She tried to not give in to the panic that is consuming her now from inside as she ask the nurse:

"Miss, kumusta na ung pasyente sa ICU#2? Anong nangyari sa kanya?" Her heart is beating too fast that she is afraid it would jump out of her chest.

"Naku ma'am! Kawawa ung pasyente na un. Sayang ang gwapo nya pa naman. Dinala sya dito six months ago, mountaineering accident. Sa sobrang lala ng mga pinsala nya comatose sya since then at ngayon mukhang bumigay na ng tuluyan ang katawan nya. Nirevive pa po sya pero mukhang wala na talaga...."

Dei could not hold it in anymore. She bursted into tears which shocked the nurse and Valerie.

"Dei, bakit? Kilala mo ba ung pasyente?" Valerie asked her worriedly.

"V-Val, sya iyon. Sigurado akong si Richard yun. Iniwan na nya ako ng tuluyan..." She clung to her friend despairingly.

"Nagdesisyon na sya...at hindi ako ang pinili nya sa huli..."