CHAPTER 51

"H-hi, Dei..."

She gave out a startled squeal when she heard the voice of the very person she was determined to avoid at all cost today speak from directly behind her.

"Ay, kalabaw! Ano ba yan, RJ! Bigla ka na lang sumusulpot kung saan. Nalaglag yata ang puso ko sa gulat!" She exclaimed, clutching at her chest dramatically.

"Sorry! Pero wag kang mag-alala kasi nasalo ko naman ang puso mo kaya safe sya." He answered while wiggling his brows playfully at her. She felt herself blush at his words.

"Luh! Inaano ka ba?! Wag ka nga, RJ!" She answered coyly while tucking her hair behind her ear which made him laugh out loud. He has this infectious, jolly laughter that she can't help but to respond with a hearty laugh of her own, her concerns momentarily forgotten. It felt good to laugh with him.

"Ang bilis yatang natapos ng meeting nyo nina Paolo?" He asked her after they have gotten over their laughing fits. They were at the dining area of the resort at the time where the meeting ended just a few minutes ago.

"Ahm, yes sandali lang ang meeting kaya magreready na kami para lumuwas pabalik ng Manila maya-maya lang. Dun na lang kami mag-uusap uli abot some edits kung kailangan pa pero okay na yung pagpili ng mga photos. Nagustuhan naman nila yung mga shots so mabilis kami natapos." She explained shyly. She is not used to discussing with acquaintances her work.

"Okay na ba ang pakiramdam mo after last night?" He suddenly changed the subject again. She glanced at him briefly and went back to gathering her stuff.

"Medyo masakit ang ulo ko kaninang paggising ko pero nawala na after ko magshower at breakfast." She answered cautiously while lifting her things from the table between them. He offered to help her carry them and she did not post any protest and just gave some of her things to him quietly. They walked towards the direction of her villa in relative silence, each trying to gauge what the other is thinking at the moment.

"Buti naman okay ka na. Nag-alala ako na baka nasobrahan ka sa wine na dala ko kagabi kaya ka sinasamaan ng pakiramdam." He said , breaking the awkward silence.

"No, its not the wine. Well, partly yes but its mostly the fatigue. I had a long day yesterday. Speaking of yesterday...did I do or say anything last night na dapat kong ikahiya? M-Medyo wala kasi ako masyado maalala after mo ako ihatid sa villa. Ang sabi lang sa akin ni Val na nakatulog ka na sa pagbabantay sa akin so..." She cautiously asked him. It was his turn to look embarrassed.

"Ahm, wala naman...tinawag mo lang akong Richard at sinabihang wag kang iwan so di ako agad umalis hangga't di ka nakatulog ng mahimbing yun nga lang nakatulog din ako...sorry about that. Pero promise nagbehave ako!" He answered hastily while raising his right hand.

"Teka, Richard naman talaga pangalan mo, di ba?! Wala namang ibang...uhm never mind. But don't worry I know you wouldn't take advantage of me. Ako nga dapat mag-apologize kasi naistorbo kita. I usually can manage my liquor intake well, pagod lang siguro talaga ako kagabi, pasensya na talaga..." She glanced at him shyly again.

"Nothing to worry about, we all have our days. And I'm just glad na ako ang nandun to take care of you. Ayoko din namang mapahamak ang new f-friend ko..." He answered with a shy side glance at her which made her blush.

"Asar! Galing magpakilig ng mokong na to! Ako naman feel na feel! Hay, self ang hopia mo kasing laki na ng batya!" She inwardly sighed and opted not to give him any answer.

"By the way, I'm not sure if you are sober enough to remember what we talked about last night pero I presented to you a proposition that I intend to accomplish for you when we get back sa Manila..." He tentatively stated, as if afraid of her reaction. She stared wide eyed at him at that.

"W-what proposition?! I don't remember agreeing to any proposition last night? Tungkol saan yun? May ibinenta ka ba sa akin at nag-agree akong bilhin? O ako ang may binenta at tumatawad ka?" She asked in rapid succession. He raised his hand to stop her barrage of questions.

"Whoa! Bago ka mag overthink, it was just a proposition for me to be your therapist..." He started but she erupted when she heard the word "therapist".

"What?! Anong therapist?! Bakit kailangan ko ng therapist?! Mukha na ba akong nababaliw kagabi? May iba pa ba akong sinabi o ginawa na di mo sinabi sa akin kanina na nagpaconclude sa iyo na kailangan ko na ng therapy?! Lasing at pagod lang ako kagabi, hindi ako baliw!!!" She hysterically stated, eyes wide in indignation. She stopped walking and affronted him which made him step back away from her.

"Whoah! Wait lang! Wala akong sinabing nababaliw ka! Porke't sinabing therapy ibig sabihin agad baliw na?! Hindi ganun! Hindi baliw ang mga patients ko...At least not all of them. That is a very stereotypical way of thinking na gusto ko talagang mabago sa society natin." He answered righteously. His conviction made her outrage simmer down a bit but she is still not convinced.

"Okay. Point taken. Pero ipaliwanag mo muna sa akin ano ang naisip mo or ginawa ko kagabi na nagpaconclude sa iyo na kailangan ko ng therapy? Medyo di kasi maprocess ng utak ko eh. Ayusin mo sagot mo, ah!" She warned him.

"Grabe sya sa'kin, oh! Bago pa lang tayong friends pinagbabantaan mo na kaagad ako? Paano pa kapag..." He answered pouting like a five-year-old kid but he abruptly stopped what he was supposed to say next.

"Paano pa kapag ano?!" She asked pointedly. He looked away before answering.

"P-Paano pa kapag close na tayo! Ano bugbog sarado na ako?" He answered defensively which made her laugh aloud.

"Yang laki ng biceps mo na yan mabubugbog ka ng isang payatot na babaeng tulad ko! Pero baka nga mabugbog kita pag di mo naipaliwanag ng maayos sa akin yang proposition mo..." She threatened him again.

"G-ganito kasi yun...I think you are showing symptoms of early stage depression...pero di pa naman conclusive yun. I still need to do an evaluation...I just want you to be okay." He explained awkwardly. She looked at him doubtfully.

"Totoo ba yan? Baka ginugood time mo lang ako, ah! Wala naman akong napapansing kakaiba sa sarili ko...sure ka ba dyan?" She asked him again.

"Usually people who suffer from depression are not aware of the symptoms or they do not want to acknowledge them. Pero sabi ko nga hindi pa conclusive yun...para makasiguro tayo I am proposing to do an evaluation of you when we get back sa Manila. Only if its okay with you..." He answered carefully. She still regard him with doubt in her eyes.

"I don't see any reason para madepress ako. I have a good career going, I have friends and my family who are supportive of my work and activities. Sabi nga nila I have almost everything na except for..." She blabbered on until she abruptly stopped, realizing what she was about to say.

"Dei, there are many possible reasons or otherwise no concrete obvious reason for a person to feel depressed at certain points in their lives. That is why an evaluation is needed to assess the situation. But as I said it is your call..." He reasoned as he was looking at her face intently.

"I don't know..." She started but the sad look on his eyes made her stop and blurt out:

"Okay..."